Prologue

"What are you doing?" I turn my head to see a boy standing next to my swing.

"I'm going to swing," I say, as I go to get on the swing. I blow out a breath trying to get myself on the swing.

The boy sees my struggles and gets down on one knee cupping his hands together. "Here step on me and push yourself up," he's not looking at me well he talks, but that's okay maybe he's shy.

I do as I'm told surprisingly able to get my bottom on the swing. I start kicking my legs back and forth to start moving.

He then joins me on the other swing after dusting the dirt off his clothes, but he just sits there staring at me.

I turn to look at him as I still swing, "do I know you?" I try to ask, very politely.

Mama taught me manners, papa not so much.

He turns he's green eyes back to the dirt, "no you don't," he mumbles, playing with his fingers.

I slow myself on the swing waiting for it to stop, "that's okay, hopefully we can be friends," once the swing stops I turn myself to look at him.

He finally looks up at me, "I would like to have a friend, I don't really have any," he starts speaking up more confidently.

I raise my left eyebrow, "thats fine because I'll be your only friend," I nod my head confidently giggling.

He smiles at me, he has such a pretty smile, "how old are you?" He asks, his smile long gone.

I think to myself, how old am I? "I'm seven, I'll be eight soon," I state.

He nods his head, "I'm nine, it's not fun being nine but I don't think it's fun being any age."

I frown, "I'm sorry, but now that we're friends maybe you'll love this age," I tell him, fixing my  frown to a smile.

He shrugs his holders and lays his head on the chain of the swing staring at me, "what's your name?"

I lay my head on the chain of the swing staring back, "Isabelle, but you can call me belle. what's yours? "

He smiles, this smiles staying longer on his face then before, "Ronan."