On The Other Side Of The Planet

Originally written by TrueBlueSonic

Even for the speediest, easiest-to-entertain hedgehog in the world, house-sitting can get boring, which is proven by Sonic bemoaning on one rain soaked afternoon from where he lays sprawled out on the sofa in Tails' house.

Going on a run is out of the question with the droplets pelting against the windows and the wind rattling the roofing, that's for sure. So is reading; he'd made sure to stock up on some classics and new books alike when his partner requested his aid in keeping an eye on the workshop, but he's flown through the whole stack thrice already this afternoon alone.

He also does not particularly feel like meal prepping or collecting the limited amounts of trash around, he's dusted the hallway and the workshop and the ceilings already too in a bid to give himself anything to do, and even his own bedroom has been made immaculate in a way it has only been when Tails first moved into this building...

Not that any of that cleaning is necessary, since Tails won't be back for a while still.

Stifling a deep sigh Sonic raises to his feet, so deeply sunken in though he doesn't even notice they have carried him over to the workshop until he flicks on the light switch and the half-repurposed hangar gets flooded in an sea of brightness. 

The hedgehog's steps echo almost oddly on the flooring as he makes his way further inside, past the spot where the Tornado usually stands. Just like the house attached to it, not a single thing is dirty in the workshop; the work benches almost sparkle in their cleanliness, no droplets of oil or wayward screws on the floor underneath, no blueprints with midnight scribbles or wrappers of mint candy sprawled around. The entire building is wholly, fully empty. Cared for, looked after, but empty.

On days like these, he does miss Tails.

"Oh, don't be so gloomy", Sonic speaks aloud, a half-smile forming on his face as he turns around to gaze at the empty spot where his avian pride and joy has not stood for a few weeks now. It's out with his other pride and joy, both traveling across the whole globe. 

"You know you can trust your partner. He's having great adventures, hopefully in weather better than this, and he'll tell you all about the cool things he's seen", Sonic speaks aloud to himself as he swung his legs in the air and walked around.

Speaking of which...

One ear angled firmly to the door he had entered through Sonic realigns some of the tools Tails has left behind, not daring to whistle or make too much noise. He doesn't want to miss-

A ping! resounds from the living room, and not even a fraction of a heartbeat later the speedster has already flung himself back to the couch and onto his personal Miles Electric.

Tails - <Good morning!> 

Tails' text reads, a picture attached of a beautiful sunrise coloring an ocean orange. Stifling a laugh as he spares the world outside the workshop a glance, revealing that the rain has hardly cleared.

Sonic lets his fingers dart over the incredibly responsive touch screen. The fastest thing alive can both read and type at super-sonic speeds, after all.

Sonic - <Afternoon, partner! The weather's better than here> 

He enters his response into the messaging app, not needing to wait long for Tails' reply.

Tails - <Yikes, sorry. No running for you?>

Stretching out his legs Sonic smirks. He's sworn to himself he would not be an overbearing big brother asking his fledgling partner solo-adventuring across the world for updates all the time or making him call every hour to show he's hale and whole, but he does want to talk to Tails in person on this boring afternoon, and if he knows one way to do so...