Chapter 5

Wednesday POV

I hear a loud noise and out of nowhere a purple smoke begins to appear in the dark room. I see Lilith rising into the air, her wings come out from her back and her eyes turn black.She rises higher and higher and just as she was about to hit the ceiling of the room, she disappears and all the purple smoke gathers and becomes a shiny golden pendant.I look around but I don't see any trace of Lilith. I go to the middle of the room where the pendant is placed. I take it in my hand and inspect it, it's a rather beautiful pendant in the shape of a heart on which Lilith's name is engraved along with Goody's name .Why would their names be engraved in the same heart-shaped pendant? I ask myself. I put the pendant around my neck and go to the door. I have math class and I hate to be late. But as I open the door I hear a screeching sound and I turn quickly and in front of me I see........

Lilith POV

I look mesmerized at the gorgeous girl in front of me. Goody looks much better in real life, not that when she was a ghost she didn't look good, but now she's absolutely gorgeous.

"Can I help you with something?" asked the gorgeous girl.

"You're very beautiful," I say.

She smiles at my words. I can't believe I said that, I'm so stupid.

"I was talking about flowers, they're very beautiful," I say, trying to correct myself. She starts giggling and hearing her crystalline voice I smile.

''I don't want to seem rude, but what exactly are you wearing?'' she asks me, raising her right eyebrow slightly.

I look at my clothes, I'm wearing an over sized t-shirt with a broken white heart on it, some torn stockings and some black boots, many rings on my fingers and a silver chain around my neck with a snake on it.I don't see anything unusual with my clothes, but then it hits me, I'm in 1600, nobody wears this. What can I say? this might make me look weird and I won't win her trust.

''I found these clothes on the grass in the forest and they seemed cute''

''They are interesting, what are you doing here?'' she asks in a more serious tone.

"I came to look for work at Mr. Grackstone's house. I heard he needs help."

"What's your name?" she asks me.

''Lilith.What is yours ?''

''Goody'' she says, extending her hand to me, we shake hands as a sign of friendship and she tells me.

"If you want to get a job here, you have to change, not because your clothes aren't...interesting, but if you want to have the smallest chance, you have to dress differently, I'll help you." 

"Thank you, you don't know how much this means to me"

"Come with me" she says smiling

God!! her smile is gorgeous!!I follow her and not long after I arrive at a small house that appears to have only one room."Do you live here?" I ask."Yes, I live here with my mother. But I think it would be better for her to see you after you get the job, if you have any chance."Her house was in the forest, it was quite nice and seemed comfortable, because the big trees were in the forest and blocked the sunlight, so it was quite dark, but there was light in the house and a gray smoke came out of the chimney.

"Her house was in the forest, it was quite nice and seemed comfortable, because the big trees were in the forest and blocked the sunlight, so it was quite dark, but there was light in the house and a gray smoke came out of the chimney

I enter the house with Goody. In the house, a strong smell of apple pie hit my nose. A tall thin woman with long straight black hair sitting nicely on her back is in front of the room that seemed to serve as a kitchen. She she turns to me and Goody and puts the pie on the table. She looks at me and smiles warmly in her eyes, I see only kindness.

 ''Goody, my dear, why didn't you tell me you were bringing guests.''

''Sorry mom, I didn't know, I met her today''

''How wonderful, it's always a pleasure to meet new people, I'm Rosalind but people call me Rosa, what's your name honey?''

''Lilith but people call me Lily''

 ''What brings you here Lily?''

"I'm looking for work."

 "Darling ,why here?"

I look at her, I can't really tell her why I'm here.

''I heard it pays well and I really need money, is that true?''

''I don't know love, we're not paid.''

''Why ?''

''Long story, but we get food and clothes and everything we need to live a decent life'' says Goody. I realized she didn't want to talk about it so I didn't force her.

''It's exciting this meeting because Mr. Crackston said he needs more servants and to hire the first girl I meet today and your lucky dear, you are the first, so you are hired.''

''Thank you very much''

''I really love your clothes but we have some clothes that we are asked to wear, Goody, Mr. Crackstone left the new uniform for the new helper on your bed. Please help our new friend Lily''

"Of course mom, but where will she sleep?" 

"In your room" Goody nods her head in approval.

 She motions for me to follow her and I enter a rather small room where she is a double bed and a bedside table and a small wooden wardrobe on the bed is the uniform I think I have to wear.

''This is my room, next to my room is my mother's room and outside is the toilet, I hope you don't mind share the bed with me''

''It doesn't bother me at all, thank you for everything, I don't know what I would have done without you''Goody smiles and takes a white dress from the closet and hands it to me.

''You will sleep in this .''

''Do I have to sleep here?''

''Well, I know you have nowhere else to sleep''

''How do you know this?''

''It's a secret, by the way, if you haven't noticed already and my mother knows.Are you hungry?''

''No, I'm not hungry.''

''Can you cook?''

''Yes, I know how to do that well.''

''Perfect, the first thing you will do is help us prepare dinner and tomorrow we will share the tasks''

''Okay''I take the uniform from the bed and wait for Goody to leave so I can change. I change and go with Goody and Rosa to the kitchen of Mr. Crackstone's house .Why do I have the impression that something will go wrong?