Chapter 40

Beyoncé: BLUE ?

Blue : Mom ...

Beyoncé :Hang on!
She finds Y/n's  knife and cuts the rope of the tire swing with it. She ties one end to a tree and sends the other end over the cliff.

Beyoncé: Can you reach the rope?
After a moment, there's a tug.

Beyoncé :Good. Now climb up.
She sits on the ground and coils the rope around her hands. Blue's weight is almost too much for her, but she holds on fast, taking up the slack whenever she can.
After a few moments, she sees her hand reach up over the edge. Beyoncé grabs her wrist and pulls her up.
As the top of her head emerges from the darkness, she lets out a small GRUNT OF EXERTION.
Beyoncé stops cold, unnerved.

Beyoncé: Blue?
She turns her blood-covered face up to her. And it's not Blue's eyes she's looking into. IT'S Y/N.
Beyoncé recoils and releases her wrist.
As Y/n slides over the edge, she grabs her with her. She snags the rope just
OVER THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF
Beyoncé's foot, dragging before going over.
Beyoncé dangles from the rope with Y/n clinging to her. She squirms and kicks, but she's attached to her like a leech.
After a moment, she begins a slow and steady climb up the length of Beyoncé's body. Her fingers rip her clothes, dig into her flesh. Her grip grows weaker by the second.

Beyoncé : I can't hold on.
She presses her lips to her ear, hissing.

Y/n: Go ahead. Let go.

But she doesn't. And Y/n hoists herself up to solid ground.
Y/n crouches down and extends her hand to her. Beyoncé stares up at her defiantly.

Y/n: I'd never do anything to hurt you,
Bey. Beyoncé's HANDS SLIP.

Y/n: You can trust me.
Her face is as innocent as a choirboy's.
Beyoncé hesitates, then reaches out and grasps her hand. She gives a hint of a smile before her grip tightens.

Beyoncé: But you can't trust me.

Y/n's EYES widen with surprise as Beyoncé yanks her over the cliff.
She lets out a BLOOD-CURDLING SCREAM as her body bounces off the outcropping of rocks and plummets to the bottom of the ravine.
Beyoncé hangs there, gasping for breath. Then she slowly climbs up. Fighting back tears, she peers into the ravine.

Beyoncé: Blue!
But there's no response. Beyoncé falls to her knees and wails with despair. Then, suddenly there's weak cry.

Blue: Mom ....

Beyoncé sees the rope MOVING. She peers into the ravine and sees Blue climbing up.
When she nears the top, Beyoncé reaches out for her.
THEIR HANDS clasp together, united. Beyoncé pulls Blue to safety.
Now on solid ground, Blue falls into her mother's arms. They hold each other as SIRENS WAIL in the distance.

A "SOLD" sign is staked on the snow-covered lawn. Beyoncé and Blue load boxes into a U-Haul trailer.

Beyoncé :You got everything?

Blue: Except for my laptop.
She runs off to the house.
A POSTAL TRUCK pulls up and a MAILMAN hops out.

MAILMAN: Need a signature.
Beyoncé signs for it. He hands her an envelope and drives off.
Beyoncé stares at the return address: ILLINOIS STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION.
She opens it and unfolds an official looking letter. She reads: "We hereby inform you that your teaching license has been permanently revoked."
She smiles sadly and folds up the letter. She glances up at the garage.
Dark and dusty. The automatic garage door opens. Beyoncé enters and looks around for anything she might have left. She spots a small box containing dormant flower bulbs.

Jay:Honey?

Beyoncé looks up and sees Jay , a jagged scar visible on his shorn scalp, his movements stilted is if still nursing his wounds.

Jay: You about ready to go?
Beyoncé goes to Jay . They wrap their arms around each other and walk to the car where Blue waits.

THE END