ʂƈɽɑɓɓɭe

ʈωo
___________________________

It had been a couple of minutes since you had made your boyfriend or rather, former boyfriend, aware of your decision to leave him.

— VI YEARS EARLIER —
June 2013

You didn't take Naoya Zenin as the emotional type, thus you had wrongly assumed he would understand your position without unnecessary fuss. 

You were wrong. 

"I don't understand, why? We were doing so well. You met my mother just last month!"

"Indeed," you nodded recalling the horrific event, "and I don't think she will be disappointed to hear of our common decision."

"There is nothing common about this, y/n! She would be disappointed just as I am, she loved you!" Naoya said fuming, scratching his head trying to make everything make sense. "You are the first girl, and I hoped, the last and only one, I had to present to her. She knows I love you."

"She wants you to marry one of your cousins."

Naoyas heart sank in his stomach. His expression confirmed that you weren't supposed to be aware of the family situation. 

"It's tradition," he desperately tried to justify. 

"It's odd."

"You're making it sound weirder than it actually is."

"So, how would you want me to process this? I did not put you in this situation, Naoya and I don't understand why I should tolerate it."

Noaya whined childishly, frustratingly resting his head against the lunch table once more.

You sighted as this conversation dragged on for longer than you expected. The lunch break was almost over. All you wanted was peace before you had to join your advanced math class. You did not want to handle your ex-boyfriend crying over your cultural differences.

"Can't you show me that you care about me? You always—" he groaned frustrated whilst you stared at him. That look you gave him... he wasn't even sure you knew you gave him that look. You barely gave him anything else but that look. He hated that look but if it was all you would give him, he would take it. Because he wanted you, all of you.

"Naoya—"

"Y/n. You are abandoning me and right now, you make me feel utterly alone." His voice trembled, "You don't even know half of what is happening to me right now. My family is in this business rivalry against another clan. I am the only capable child amongst my siblings that can handle this, y/n. It isn't something I chose but I cannot run away from it. I need you to stay with me, I need you to lend me some strength. I know that you can't understand how a real family works out so I don't blame you for behaving this selfishly." Naoya's voice reached your ears through his gritted teeth. He tried to seek comfort by reaching for your hand but you pulled away. "Please don't leave me because I have filial duties to honour."

Maybe he was right, maybe you had no mercy in behaving like this because your family dynamics were rather opposite.   

Your parents mainly worked abroad as they were Doctors without borders. They barely had spent any time with you and you grew to be their super independent only child. They were proud of you because you did very well at school and didn't bother them. Although they prohibited dating and marked an exclamation point on it. Some might think it was because they didn't want their daughter to be a case of teenage pregnancy but Naoya had told you it was because they avoided being around you.