Chapter 2: The Portkey

Meli wasn't able to effectively remember much of the past several weeks, besides her lessons; the knowledge that she wasn't a Squib after all, that she would be joining her brother at Hogwarts as she had been wishing to for years, even after making peace with the idea that she never would, was enough to keep her mind reeling right up until the day she was due to leave. While Rowan would be departing aboard the Hogwarts Express, as usual, she would be travelling by carriage, escorted by Professor Fig himself.

As it was, they were preparing to depart at that moment, from a deserted London side street away from prying Muggle eyes. She was standing beside the carriage, the driver already in his seat, the reins attached to a team of what seemed to be invisible horses, while Professor Fig gave their luggage one last once-over to make sure that everything was secure and they hadn't left anything behind.

'Ah!' said Professor Fig finally, returning to her from behind the carriage. 'It appears we are almost ready to depart. I'm afraid the ride will be a bit of a tight fit for you; we did enlarge the carriage some to try and make it a bit more comfortable, but it still has to be light enough to take to the air. It's a pity we didn't have a bit more time to spend on spellcasting. I presume you've been practising the spells we worked on?'

'I have, Professor,' Meli said, smiling and holding up the loaned wand.

'Well, I'm quite sure I've never seen anyone take so quickly to a second-hand wand. You'll be a force to be reckoned with when you get your own,' Professor Fig said with a wink.

'Thank you, Professor Fig,' said Meli. 'I appreciate yer workin' with me before the term begi—'

She was cut off by the sudden Apparition of another wizard some six feet away from them; he was facing in the opposite direction, looking this way and that, before he turned and laid eyes on them. Upon seeing Meli, his eyes widened in surprise and he looked her up and down, before shifting his gaze to Professor Fig.

'Oh!' he laughed. 'Eleazar!' He was wearing a brown suit with a red bow tie; he had a round, friendly face, with brown hair, moustache, and mutton-chop sideburns, and brown eyes framed by round spectacles.

'George,' said Professor Fig, walking forward to meet the man as he approached them. 'Glad my rather cryptic description of our location did not thwart your finding us.'

'I've Apparated to more vaguely-defined destinations than this!' he said. 'Though, I confess I may have miscalculated slightly on my first try.' He leaned towards Meli, lowering his voice half an octave. 'Gave quite the fright to some theatre-goers in the West End.' He laughed, and Meli grinned.

'It's been much too long,' said Professor Fig. 'When I received your owl, I must say I—'

The man called George made a noise of protest, holding up his hand. 'Best not speak here, Eleazar,' he said pointedly, looking around. 'Hm?'

'...Of course,' said Professor Fig. 'Why don't we speak en route to Hogwarts? We have a start-of-term feast and a Sorting Ceremony to get to.'

'Wonderful idea!' said George. 'As long as your, er...charge here doesn't mind me tagging along?'

'Not at all, sir,' Meli said.

'After you,' said Professor Fig, gesturing towards the carriage.

The door swung open and Meli stepped up into the carriage, Professor Fig following behind.

'Ages since I've been to the castle!' said George. 'Would be good to see the old pile of rocks.'

He lingered outside the carriage, staring down the street for a moment, before climbing inside and shutting the door. The driver cracked the reins and the carriage trundled off before rising into the sky.