Chapter 4: The Sorting

Meli hung back as Professor Fig leaned close to the door leading into the Great Hall so that he could check and see exactly how much Meli had missed. Now that they were safe from Ranrok, the pre-Hogwarts anxiety had come back in full force. While she was originally supposed to arrive at Hogwarts separately from the other students, she had still been supposed to join the first-years and queue up for the Sorting with them; thanks to the dragon attack, their detour into Gringotts, and the encounter with Ranrok, she and Professor Fig were now very late.

'Oh, good,' said Professor Fig, turning back to face Meli. 'We haven't missed the Sorting Ceremony.' He drew his wand, aiming it at her clothes. 'I'm no expert, but...'

Meli watched as her clothes transformed before her eyes, changing into an all-black Hogwarts uniform; a white linen shirt, a necktie, a tweed waistcoat with a matching ankle-length skirt over boots and stockings, finished off with a Hogwarts robe. She knew from Rowan's uniform that it would typically be in her House colours and bear the crest of her House, but of course, as she hadn't been Sorted yet, these things were absent.

'...that seems more appropriate,' said Professor Fig, pocketing his wand. 'Now, I need to study this locket as soon as I can, but first I must contact the Ministry. They need to know what happened to George, and be warned of Ranrok. For the moment, I ask that you keep all that's happened this evening between you and me.'

'But what about my brother?' she asked.

Professor Fig thought for a moment. 'I suppose that's up to you,' he said. 'But if you do disclose this to him, please impress upon him that he cannot tell anyone else.'

Meli nodded. 'Of course, sir,' she said.

'Thank you. Ready for the Sorting Ceremony?' he asked brightly, rubbing his hands together.

Meli smiled and nodded. Professor Fig pushed open the door to the Great Hall, and Meli expected him to lead her through it, but he did not; he stayed there, looking at something—or perhaps someone—out of her sight. After a moment, he withdrew himself from the doorway, his cheerful expression gone.

'Phineas Nigellus Black,' he said, then sighed. He ushered her away from the door. 'Prepare yourself to meet...the Headmaster.'

A beat later, a haughty-looking man in a green tailcoat, with brown hair and an impeccably groomed moustache and beard, strode through the door. He surveyed Meli for just a moment before returning his attention to Professor Fig.

'Fig,' he said shortly. 'Nice of you to join us. The Sorting Ceremony's over.'

'There were—complications,' Professor Fig said.

'"Complications"?' Professor Black repeated.

'It seems the goblin problem has—' Professor Fig began, but the headmaster interrupted him.

'Enough!' he groaned, rolling his eyes. 'Goblins—I've no time for rumours, Fig! And I'm rapidly losing whatever patience I had left!'

Professor Fig opened his mouth to speak again, but Professor Black had already shifted his gaze to Meli.

'If you're lucky, we might still be able to get you Sorted this evening,' he said, before turning on his heel and striding back into the Great Hall.

Meli quickly made to follow him, Professor Fig leaning towards her.

'I'll be in touch,' he said.

There were four long tables lined up in a row in the Great Hall, each of them bearing a table runner with the coat of arms of each of the four Hogwarts Houses hanging down at the end. She followed Professor Black down the middle of the Hall, between the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor tables. She easily caught sight of Rowan at the Slytherin table on the far left, who smiled at her as she walked towards the platform at the end of the Great Hall, where the professors were sitting. There was a single, three-legged stool sitting in the middle of this platform.