Chapter 7: Trouble in Hogsmeade

A/N: Alright folks, just a heads up, this is gonna be a LONG one, about twice as long as my usual chapters; I tried to find a good place to split it, but unfortunately there wasn't one.

When Meli arrived at the Transfiguration classroom, she found Professor Weasley sitting at her desk, conversing with a house elf.

'Oh, excuse Deek,' said the elf, and with a snap of his fingers, he vanished.

'Ah!' Professor Weasley said, and she stood up and walked around her desk to meet Meli as she approached. 'There you are. I trust your first classes went well?'

'They did, Professor,' Meli said.

'I heard as much from Professors Hecat and Ronen,' said Professor Weasley, and Meli wondered if the professors had some sort of high-speed communication method, since she had only left Professor Hecat's class a few minutes ago. 'Seems Professor Fig taught you quite a bit during your brief detour near—what was it you said? "Some ruins"? I'd wager there's a good deal more to your travels here than what you've told me, isn't there?'

Meli shifted her weight uncomfortably; it seemed Professor Weasley wasn't going to drop this. She didn't want to lie to her, but neither did she want to break her word to Professor Fig, nor risk Professor Weasley disclosing everything to Professor Black.

'Have you and Professor Fig not discussed my training?' Meli asked, hoping to deflect.

'He continues to be reticent about the details,' Professor Weasley said, 'mentioning only a few spells. Revelio, was it? And Lumos?'

'And the basic cast,' Meli said. 'And Levioso, Protego, Stupefy, Wingardium Leviosa, Vermillious, a few others too...a handful of early-year spells and basic defensive spells, essentially.'

'I see,' said Professor Weasley. 'Like trying to get a sonnet from a streeler.... Regardless, you must continue to build upon what you've learned. In that regard, I've asked your professors to help hasten your progress with some extra assignments.'

'Yes,' Meli said. 'Professors Ronen and Hecat did mention somethin' about that.'

'In fact, Professor Ronen will meet you outside momentarily to assign your first one,' said Professor Weasley. 'On a similar note—typically, as a new student, you would be required to take flying lessons. However, due to your unique physiology, you have been exempted from the class. You will instead be given a free period, which I highly suggest you take advantage of to keep on top of your studies.

'Now, regarding the trip to Hogsmeade I mentioned earlier. We have arranged to replace the supplies lost on your way here; you should find a new trunk packed and waiting for you in your dormitory by the end of the day. You will still need to collect some of your supplies on your own, however; I have compiled a list for you.' Professor Weasley withdrew a folded slip of parchment from her jacket and handed it to Meli, who opened it up to read it.

'The items listed there have already been paid for; you need only collect them from the shops,' Professor Weasley continued. 'You will, however, need to purchase a wand with your own gold, as well as any casual wear and personal belongings you wish to replace.'

'Thank you, Professor,' Meli said.

'You've managed your classes well with a borrowed wand,' said Professor Weasley. 'But you'll find the magic you cast with your own wand to be far superior. Mr Ollivander will match you with the perfect one.'

'There's an Ollivander's in Hogsmeade?' Meli asked.

'There is,' Professor Weasley said with a nod. 'Most people are familiar with the shop in Diagon Alley; I believe his son is currently managing it. Mr Ollivander is a genuine craftsman and highly skilled wandmaker. I would trust no one else to pair me with a wand. Now, do you have any questions for me before you get going?'