Chapter 6: Friendly Competition

'So, what'd Weasley say?' Rowan asked as Meli sat down next to him at the Slytherin table.

'Gave me somethin' called a Wizard's Field Guide and taught me how to use it,' Meli said, loading kippers onto her plate. 'She also taught me how to use the castle's Floo Flames and told me that I'm gonna be gettin' extra assignments from the professors to help me catch up, and she and Professor Fig taught me how to use the Guide's map.'

'Wizard's Field Guide?' Rowan repeated. 'What's that?'

Meli set down her fork and pulled out the Field Guide, showing it to Rowan. He stared at it with an odd expression for a moment.

'Okay,' he said. 'I just...want ye to take off yer robe, and stand up while holdin' that book. Just fer a second.'

Meli raised an eyebrow, but obliged, removing her robe and standing up from the table, resting the Field Guide on her hip. Rowan's face shifted as though he was trying not to laugh.

'So weird,' he said, shaking his head.

'Why?' asked Sebastian, who had been watching this interaction with mild confusion.

''Cause I look like our mum, I expect,' Meli said, rolling her eyes and stashing the Field Guide away as she sat back down. 'She carries a big leather-bound book like that too.'

'What for?' Sebastian asked.

Rowan shrugged. 'Anythin', really,' he said. 'We've never seen inside it. We know it's magic, but we don't know exactly everythin' it does.'

'Anyways,' Meli said, returning to her breakfast, 'the Field Guide is supposed to keep track of what I'm learnin' and to help me learn more. I'm supposed to keep an eye out fer pages throughout the castle.'

'Sounds annoying,' said Rowan, taking a swig of orange juice.

Meli shrugged. 'Not as long as I can find 'em all,' she said.

They lapsed into conversation about their future classes, Rowan giving Meli a bit of an overview of what to expect from lessons and professors.

'Ronen's the Charms Professor and Head of Slytherin,' he said. 'He's a real laugh, ye'll like him. Turns new lessons into a game most o' the time. Hecat's in charge of Defence, that one's me favourite, personally. She focuses more on the practical side o' things. And then next week ye'll have Potions and Herbology and all the rest, o' course. Garlick's nice, Sharp ain't. Ye'll be excluded from Flyin' class, I expect. And if there's anythin' ye need help or practice with, just ask us, we'd be happy to help.' He gestured to Sebastian and Ominis, who nodded.

'Thank you,' Meli said. 'I really appreciate that.'

'Oh, and I'll ask Garlick when Frog Choir auditions are and pass it on to ye!' Rowan added. 'We had a few members leave this year, so there should be open spots.'

Just then, the bell rang signalling the beginning of classes. Meli made her way out of the Hall with the rest of the Slytherins, following Rowan, Sebastian, and Ominis as they all headed for Charms class. Upon reaching the classroom, Sebastian and Ominis sat next to each other, and Rowan sat down next to Violet McDowell. Meli looked around, trying to decide where she should sit.

'Here—behind you,' she heard a voice call, and she turned to see a girl in a Gryffindor uniform looking at her.

'There is an open seat here,' the girl said, and based on her appearance and her accent, Meli guessed that she was from somewhere in Africa.

'Thank you,' Meli said, walking up the steps to sit next to the girl.

'Hello! I am Natty,' she said, smiling. 'So you are the new student? Have you met Professor Ronen yet?'