6 - Renée

"Shit, shit, shit..."

"You have a fucking job interview?"

Roman sprung out of the bed, almost tripping over himself in a panic. He tried to organize the outfit he had on but I stopped him quickly.

He was different from years before. More disheveled. Less organized.

He's lost himself.

I helped to smooth out his outfit and fix his hair while he looked in the mirror to check his face.

"Yes, I have a fucking job interview in an hour or two. And if I don't make it, my life is gonna go to shit and my girlfriend is gonna be really mad and-"

"Girlfriend?" My heart dropped when I heard those words, "You have a girlfriend?"

I tried not to let the burden of emotions creep onto my face, but my body language made it obvious. I knew it.

And he knew it too.

"Renée..." His eyes went soft as he realized his words. I wasn't supposed to know in the first place. At least that's what he made it seem.

I quickly shook my head to snap out of my thoughts, stepping back to create a distance between us. His eyes tried to capture mine in an attempt to explain himself, but he didn't need to. I didn't want to know.

"I'll call an Uber for you or something. I gotta get to work." My morning hustle before our brief conversation continued.

I grabbed my purse from the corner of my room, rushing out the door. The tension in the air was enough to choke me.

I felt a small grip on my wrist before he pulled my body towards his. We were close.

And although he smelled of alcohol, that familiar cedar on his cologne was still there, bringing some quiet to my mind.

" Renée, I didn't..."

"Roman. It's fine," I gently removed his hand from my wrist, attempting to smile in reassurance, "Do what you gotta do for the interview."

The look in his eyes was unsure of my words but I left in time not to linger on it.

Truth be told, I wasn't actually going to work either.

An hour to get to my father's office building and I regretted every mile.

After I left four years ago, I made a name for myself. And at the height of success, he came back to apologize.

Heartfelt? Absolutely not.

But he does whatever he can to have his daughter back in his possession.

"You're the peak of this company, pumpkin."

"You do for me what others can't. That's why you're so great."

Bullshit.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Pumpkin, you're here." Dad stood up from his chair, grooming the greys from his beard.

"You told me to be here early, so I did," I headed straight for the mini-fridge in the corner of his room. If I found something to eat, we would talk less. Save enough time to get it over with. 

"You've always been punctual, pumpkin. That's why I reward you with good stuff."

I rolled my eyes, still scavenging the fridge, "And what does that have to do with anything? It's my first day off in a while, Dad. I wanted a break."

"And you will," The drawer beneath him scuffed as he opened it, pulling out a pack of chips, "Just this one thing and you can go home."

Manipulative little shit.

I took the chips and sat down in the corner of the office, chewing slowly to stall the process.

After half an hour or so, the smell of alcohol filled the room. Followed by a cedar scent...

No fucking way.

"Roman! My boy! Look how you've grown!" Dad sprung up from his seat rushing to hug Roman as he walked in. He turned to face me, the smile on his face growing prouder, "Surprise! Bet you weren't expecting him, were you?"

I'm so surprised. My internal sarcasm spoke.

I was only so curious as to what the hell he was doing in the office. The cheery expression on my face was far from real after the news earlier and the will to stay strong was thinning by the minute.

"Pumpkin, your safety is important to me, especially in the position of your career now," Dad explained, "So, I've hired Roman to be your bodyguard once more. Like when you were younger, hm?"

"I got the job?" Roman asked, looking between me and my dad as if I hadn't had questions of my own.

"You told me to come here for Roman to be my bodyguard again? Isn't that the thing that started shit in the first place?"

Dad's face was shocked by my tone, yet he kept on a broad smile to stay professional, "Roman is under strict orders in his contract. Once we go over them and he agrees, mistakes like last time won't happen again.."

"So all that shit was a mistake?" I snapped back, "And I don't get a say in this either?"

The thought of Roman being beside me 24/7 wouldn't be so terrible if he wasn't in another relationship.

Knowing I still feel for him makes it worse.

Dad opened his mouth to answer my previous question but I held up a hand to shut him down.

"It's fine, Dad. Never mind," I swallowed, "Can I go home now?"

I didn't want to argue. I wasn't in the mood to argue. 

He asked me to wait outside the office for a while so Roman could take me home. I tensed at the very thought of it, but if I kept it pushing for however long I could, then maybe...Just maybe. 

A couple of minutes passed by as the office door opened.

Roman and his tall stature stood above me, the whiskey dying down on his clothes.

"He says I have to drive you."

"I'd like to drive myself."

"Renée..."

"Roman." My strict tone made up for the lack of eye contact. I couldn't bring myself to look at him. 

We stood in silence for a while. I was contemplating saying something, but I know he was too nervous to speak.

I was too.

"I'll drive. You sit in the passenger seat. Is that okay?" I asked.

"Of course."