3 - The Explosion

"Uncle, are you okay?" Elia asked as she tried to keep up with Callaghan's pace. "You seemed quite tense with Mr. Krei."

Callaghan continued walking until they were at an isolated lab.

"Do you know what that man has done?" He spat.

Elia was wary of where this was going. "What did he do?"

"An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. And a life for a life."

It was an elusive answer, but she didn't like the sound of it.

"What did Mr. Krei do?"

He looked at her. Elia took a step back. His eyes were full of rage, consumed by a feeling, an emotion, she had never seen in her uncle before. It made him monstrous even though his appearance didn't change.

"He took away the person that meant the most to me," he spat. "And you are in no place to meddle with what I'm about to do."

Elia only knew one person that meant to him that much. Abigail. Her cousin was the light of life. After his wife died, he doted on his intelligent and bright daughter. Abigail was one of the best cousins she ever had.

"What happened to her?"

He clenched his jaw so hard it seemed like gnashing in agony. "I lost her. But I'm going to get her back. No matter what it takes." He looked at Elia directly in her eyes. "Remember. Blood runs thicker than water. I don't care what's going to happen to me. I just want her back."

"Uncle, don't do anything stupid."

"Get out of the building, Elia."

"What?"

"Get out!" He was screaming. "I'm saving your life."

Elia stood her ground. "If you're going to hurt someone, I'm not going to let you do it."

Callaghan's face softened, but immediately returned to his angered state. "It will just be a distraction. Just. Get. Out."

"Please, Uncle," Elia begged. "Don't do this."

"You're really pushing it aren't you? Let me tell you straight to the face." Callaghan showed a strange device on his hand. "When I press it, a part of the building will explode. And if you stay here, you may not come out alive."

"Are you crazy?" Elia blurted. "What about you?"

"Go!"

Elia saw his thumb was precariously near the button. So she did the only thing she could.

She ran with all her might.

A few seconds later, a loud explosion rang in her ears.

The smoke and the heat nearly suffocated her. Elia stumbled towards the exit, not looking back. She was glad that she didn't stay any longer, but she felt guilty for not stopping the explosion. And it was a lot bigger than she expected.

She gasped at the fresh air when she stumbled on the stairs outside the showcase. Her eyes widened at the horrible sight. The building was smoking from all corners, fiery flames feeding on the air around it. Screams filled her ears, overpowering the alarm that sounded. She scanned the area from the top of the stairs to see if anyone was hurt. So far none. She couldn't bear the guilt to see anyone get hurt, or even worse, die.

"Tadashi no!"

Elia turned her head to see the Hamada brothers. What were they doing? Hiro was clutching his brother's arm for life. And Tadashi was facing the building. She stumbled towards them, her legs almost giving way.

No no no. Not him.

To her horror, Tadashi started running towards the building. She knew she couldn't pull him away, so she did what she had to do. Using her body weight, she threw herself upon him down the stairs, hugging him tightly to brace the impact for them both. With all her strength, she tilted to the side to reduce the impact.

Their bodies tumbled on the concrete floor and they both grunted in pain. Hiro rushed to their aid. Tadashi looked at her as if she was insane.

"Why did you..."

A flash blinded their eyes.

Elia's body couldn't take it anymore. The suffocation, the explosion of Callaghan, the hurt from the fall. It was too much.

Her vision faded to black.