5 - Home

"Basically, you, Baymax, and Hiro followed the microbot, snuck into an abandoned warehouse and saw a masked man reproducing your microbots coming after you and you escaped?"

"We barely escaped alive!" Hiro exaggerated.

The door swung open and everyone jumped.

"Mom, Dad!" Elia exclaimed.

"Mr. and Mrs. Tanaka," the two boys acknowledged with a respectful bow.

Mrs. Tanaka smiled at the two boys. Mr. Tanaka was less amused. A nurse appeared behind their backs with a large grin on her face.

"Your daughter is almost well," she affirmed to the couple. "She can be discharged from the hospital tomorrow morning." Joyous cheers erupted in the room. Despite being happy, Elia couldn't help but feel bothered at what Tadashi just told her. Who would reproduce Hiro's microbots and why?

The next morning, Elia arrived at her house with her mom. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Actually, it was quite similar to the Hamadas' home, save the restaurant. Her abode was a humble two-storey building, consisting of all the necessary components of a house. With a soft grunt, she climbed up the stairs and followed her mom inside the house.

"Take it slow, dear," her mother said, "You're still recovering."

She sauntered through the familiar living room and jumped on the couch. Ouch. Maybe she shouldn't have leaped towards it. In front of her was the television, which had a long low table beneath it. She noticed black clothes folded neatly on top. Beside the clothes was a small portrait of Robert Callaghan.

"Is he really dead?" Elia whimpered within earshot of her mom. No response. Of course, that was a silly thing to say, wasn't it?

"Your phone's buzzing," her mom stated, trying to conceal any emotion.

Of course, she'd avert it. Elia picked up her phone to see heaps of messages in her phone.

Her thumb was about to click on Tadashi's private message first. But she decided to read the group chat with her friends first.

Gogo: Heard you got out of the hospital. Come eat lunch with us. Meal's on the house.

Elia was surprised at the offer, but she wasn't sure how she'd go there. After all, she was still recovering. That's when she read the other messages.

Honey Lemon: Hey! We're coming to pick you up at 1030AM! We're all in Wasabi's car! See you! <3

Wasabi: Could have done it at 10AM if Fred didn't come late

Fred: HEY! I was getting THE DELIVERY!

Gogo: Shut it, Fred.

Fred: Oh.

Tadashi: Sorry guys. I need to fix something. There will be a slight delay

Hiro: Yeah, sorry

Gogo: 11AM then @Elia

Honey Lemon: Yes! See you!!

She looked at the clock. It was 10AM. She had some time to prepare. Filled with excitement, she ran to the room to pick clothes, forgetting to reply to her other messages. With a holler, she told her mom that she was going to hang out with her friends to which her mother approved.

Elia felt refreshed with the warm shower and picked out some of her best clothes, a comfy sweater paired with skinny jeans and gray sneakers. She grabbed her small sling bag and tossed some essentials inside. When she grabbed her phone, she tried to respond to all the messages while waiting for her friends.

For some reason, she wanted to save Tadashi's for last. One by one, she thanked her relatives and friends who wished her speedy recovery. She also responded to people who wished her condolences about Callaghan. She answered them almost hurriedly, leaving the most anticipated message unread. With a small breath, she pressed on the message.

Tadashi: Hi Elia! I think you'll be reading this after you get out of the hospital. I just want to thank you for saving me there and I hope you won't be too troubled by our story lol

Tadashi: Oh yeah I also left something near your bed. See you!

Her eyes widened. Was she too tired to not have noticed it? And how did he do it? She tossed her phone in the bag and ran to her bed. There it was, peeking under her pillow. She picked up the flat box and opened it. An aromatic floral scent tickled her nose. Inside was an envelope with a rose made out of Legos. She chuckled as heat crept up her cheeks. He knew what she liked. Putting the box on her bedside, she opened the envelope to read the letter.

Dear Elia,

I just wanted to thank you for saving me back there. I went inside the building to save Professor Callaghan, but you stopped me. Admittedly, I was angry at first, but if it weren't for you, I may have died along with him. I owe you my life, quite literally. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tadashi

P.S. I got a gift card from the bookstore beside us for you. I know how much you love books. Take it as my small way of saying thanks :)

—-

Elia fetched the gift card inside the envelope and smiled. She held it in her hand as she inserted it in her wallet. By then, a familiar honk sounded outside. Unable to contain her smile, she flung the door open and greeted her friends, ready to spend time with them.

"ELIAA!" Honey Lemon shouted from the back of the car. "Hop in!"

"Look at her," Gogo smirked with pride. "She's back to herself."

"Not fully," Elia protested as she opened the door of the car and sat in the only vacant seat.

"What do you mean?" Fred laughed. "You're walking like normal after multiple injuries."

"She's a fighter," Wasabi commented with a smile.

"We're just glad you're okay," Tadashi said. He sat in front of her, beside Wasabi who was driving. Although she didn't see him, she could hear the smile in his voice. She had to thank him for that letter later.

Beside her was Hiro who was unusually quiet. He would usually give a witty comment about any situation. She nudged him as the others in the car talked with each other. He looked at her with a smile then took out his phone.

Elia felt her phone buzz. She glimpsed at the notifications. Scrunching her eyebrows, she stared at Hiro. He looked back at her with a mischievous glint in his eye. Her phone vibrated again.

Hiro: Hello!

Hiro: Don't say anything, okay?

Hiro: Aunt Cass is not done prepping lunch

Hiro: So I want to show you something in the basement first

Hiro: Don't tell anyone!

She peered at Hiro suspiciously before responding to him.

Elia: Is this a prank?

Hiro speedily typed before Fred looked over his shoulder.

Hiro: No. It's kinda urgent.

Doubt was mounting, but so was her curiosity. With an inaudible sigh, she replied back.

Elia: Alright, it better not be anything stupid.

Hiro's grin told her otherwise.

P.S. WOO! I apologize for the long hiatus. It's been some time since I wrote so I hope you like this chapter. :)