chapter 1 ⛱️

Spilled paint. That's what started this whole mess. Well, it started as a mess, but it seems pretty clean to me now. It all began on the last day of school.

"Sydney, get up, you don't want to be late for your last day of school, do you?" my mom yelled from downstairs. My countdown to summer was finally ending, and I was absolutely thrilled. This school year wasn't the best, but it most definitely wasn't the worst. I got out of bed and practically dragged myself to the bathroom. As I brushed my teeth, I couldn't help but notice how warm it was outside. It brought joy to me knowing summer was only one day away and it was just the beginning. I got dressed in my favorite shirt, an orange tank top that I had gotten from my nana last year. I paired it with my favorite pair of blue jean shorts that I had recently got at the mall with my best friend, Madi. Madi and I go way back, ever since second grade actually. Now we were freshmans in highschool. Well, sophomores really, since this year is already over. I guess you could say her and I are inseparable. I take a glance at my alarm clock and I realize how late I was gonna be if I didn't pick up the pace. I quickly pulled my hair into two messy braids, put some mascara on and ran downstairs. My mom had already made me and my brother toast, but I didn't have the time to eat it, so I skipped breakfast. I put on my shoes, said goodbye to my mom and rushed out the door. Usually my boyfriend, John, would pick me up and drive me to school but we're not a thing anymore, so I have to take the bus. Thankfully I made it to the bus in time and went over and sat next to Madi. The bus ride was short and quiet. It's not like how it used to be in middle school, loud and busy. Now all everyone wanted to do was be on their phones and sit quietly. I'm not complaining, it's just... different?

"Soooo, what have you been up to? I mean it's almost summer. Have you made any plans? Gotten any dates?" Madi winked at me.

"No, are you surprised? Besides, I'm not looking to date anyone anyways. I'm perfectly fine being single." I confidently smiled at her. She tilts her head and gives me a smile back. That's something I've noticed about Madi, whenever she thinks I'm lying, she tilts her head and smiles.

"I am, seriously. I don't want a boyfriend. I want to spend the summer with you, Stella, and my family and that's all that matters to me right now."

"Aww, Syd. I'm flattered."

"Yep. You should be." The bus screeches at a stop. We're finally at school. I stand up and start making my way to the front of the bus. When we finally exit, I walk into school and go straight to my locker. I don't need to get anything from it, it's just to waste time. I don't feel like being the first one in homeroom. I stand there for a couple minutes before I decide to go to my class. On my way, I run into the infamous couple, Cameron Adler and Britney Perkins, making out by her locker. Yuck. Now, it's not that I hate Britney Perkins. But I definitely don't like her. Also, get a room! I walk past them as fast as I can, because I really don't want to see anymore of ...that. Unfortunately, as I start walking up the stairs, they decide to stop making out and walk up behind me. Woo-hoo. I hear a "Wait slow down!"  I turn around to see Britney rushing up the stairs.

"Hey Sydney! So this is for you," she says, handing me a white envelope, "It's an invitation to my pool party this weekend. Bring a date. See you there!!" she blows a kiss and then waves her hand at Cameron to come with her. When he doesn't see it, she says,

"Cameron?? Are you even paying attention? Seriously, we have to get you a new pair of listening ears. God." He looks up at her and quickly follows her up the stairs. Practical Britney Perkins. She acts like she's all that, when everyone knows she always runs over to her daddy when she needs something. Not to mention the fact that she lost her virginity the summer before 8th grade, and acted like it was cool. Sorry Britney, but the only cool thing about that was the air conditioning in Jeremy Whitbriars house that day. The late bell finally rang and I rushed up the stairs trying to get to my class before I get listed as tardy. But when I finally got there, half of my class wasn't there yet, so I was less worried. But, I go ahead and make my way to my seat. I have been sitting in this seat for ages but I'm not complaining because if it weren't for this seat I wouldn't be friends with Stella Monroe. Stella and I instantly clicked on the first day of school when the teacher made us introduce ourselves to the person sitting next to us. Although Stella and I have only known each other for a year, I consider her as one of my best friends and I wouldn't give her up for anything. Stella and I chat for a while about our summer plans and all the things we look forward to. Of course as some of my classmates start walking in, our teacher quickly quiets us down to give us a rundown of how our day will look like. She mentions how we can switch to other classrooms if we would like as long as your teacher approves. After the teacher is done explaining to us about how the day is going to look, Stella and I turn our heads to look at one another and then we continue to talk about summer some more.