chapter 2 🏝️

Cameron. Shoot, I thought he wasn't coming. I turn myself around and go up to Stella and Madi.

"Guys, Cameron is here! What should I do?" I say with worry.

"Bro, chill out, it's not like he's about to bite you or something."Madi said, trying to reassure me that everything would be fine.

"How do you know that? Yesterday he looked like he was about to kill me."

"Just pretend he doesn't exist and enjoy this night!" Stella said with a smile on her face. That's one thing I love about Stella, she always knows how to cheer me up, even in the worst situations possible.

"Yeah you're right. He probably won't even notice that I'm here." I say. Madi and Stella both nod their heads and we all walk over and sit down on the sand.

"So, Madi. I see what you have going on with Shawn. You wanna give us some information about that?" Stella asks. Madi tries not to smile, but we can both see her blushing.

"Well we're not dating or anything. Whats there to talk about?" Madi says in response.

"Oh come on.We can all sense that there's something there. Plus, we see the way you two look at each other. It's like you guys are like married or something."  I say. Madi smiles even harder.

"Really?" she says, blushing. Stella and I both respond with a hard "Yes," and Madi buries her face into her hands.

"Okay fine I kinda do like him but it's not like we are going to date or anyth-"

     "Bro, are you blind? Do you not see how obsessed he is with you?" I say, a little too loudly I guess, because just then, out of the corner of my eye, I see Shawn making his way over to us. And I guess Stella sees him too because she says:

    "Guys, shut up. I think he heard us. Quick pretend we were talking about summer." Shawn comes from behind us and puts his arms around Madi's shoulder.

           "Are you guys ready to start the bonfire?" He says to us.

    "Yeah! Is everyone else here?" Stella asks.

    "Yup, we didn't invite too many people, just the people that are special to me" Shawn says while looking at Madi. Stella and I both look at Madi. Her cheeks are on fire. I'm just wondering who's gonna make the first move.

    "Alright so we should probably head up to like, wherever the bonfire is gonna be, right?" I ask

    "Yeah, let's go. Oh by the way, did you guys bring towels? You know, to sit on?" Shawn asks

    "If we brought towels wouldn't we be sitting on them right now? Besides, you never told us to." Stella says

    "Oh I thought I did. It's okay, I'm sure some other people brought towels." he says. We all get up and follow Shawn to the bonfire. He really wasn't lying when he said he didn't invite many people. There were about 10 people there, including Stella, Madi and I. It was going to be very hard to avoid Cameron.

    "Um, you guys? Remember how I said that Cameron won't even notice I'm here? Well take a look at the amount of people who are here. I think it'll be very hard for him to not see me." I said to my friends.

    "Okay, okay. You're right. But so what if he sees you? It's not like he's going to go out of his way to talk to you. I thought you said he hates you?" Madi said.

    "Yeah, but-" I start

    "No, no buts. Just sit down next to Flynn and I or Madi and Shawn because I know they'll be sitting together. Don't talk to him and I'm sure he won't talk to you." Stella said. Yeah I guess she has a point. I'll just sit next to one of the two couples and hope for the best. As we are approaching everyone, I see Cameron look over to us to see who was approaching him. As soon as he made eye contact with me, he looked away. There go the stomach knots.