VI: Drive Home

"That movie was absolutely awful," Paul groaned, "I can't believe you convinced me to go see it with you again.

I laughed. When I saw that our local movie theater was showing Legally Blonde on the big screen, I knew I had to drag Paul with me. I would pretend, for his sake, that I didn't see him mouthing along to the iconic, 'What, like it's hard?'

"Hey! Don't laugh at me!" He huffed dramatically, "You are absolutely so impossible, Sydney." 

I hopped into his truck and he drove us to the fro-yo place. After getting our regulars, we sat down in our favorite booths in the back. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it just as quickly.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I just- I'm sorry about the other night. I don't know what happened." He looked down at the table between us as if he were ashamed.

"Don't sweat it, Paulie. I promise I don't mind," I said lightly, trying to cheer him up, "are you sure you're okay? You know I'm always here to listen."

"I'm okay, Syd." He answered, a grateful smile on his face, "my heart hurts a little, but I'm okay."

"It'll get better," I said softly. I knew all about heartbreak, and I hated that girl for making Paul feel this way.

We sat in silence for a moment before he drew in a deep breath, "So... Jason," he stated.

Two days had gone by. Two days without Jason at school, and the texts had changed from including 'see u tmr' to simply just letting me know he wouldn't be there. It was weird and confusing.

Yesterday, I ran laps and did some drills on my own, but today I dragged Paul to the movie theater with me after school.

"What about him?" I asked.

"Well, where is he?"

"Honestly, I have no clue," I sighed, "and I really don't care."

Paul rolled his eyes, "Sure."

"I don't!"

"Mhm." Paul simply nodded, taking a bite of his fro-yo and giving me a smirk.

"You know, you are actually impossible." I told him exasperated. I sighed. Paul knew me better than anyone just like I knew him better than anyone, and I could tell what he was getting at. "So I'm meeting Lucas's fiance, Jessica, at dinner tonight."

"Sydney with the ever so subtle subject change," He asked, his smirk growing just the slightest bit bigger, but he humored me. "Are you excited?"

"I mean, I guess so? I hope she's nice, Lucas says she is. She's moving into our house in a couple weeks too."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that," Paul laughed a bit.

"You know..." I said, a devious smirk growing on my face.

"Oh no, I know that look," Paul groaned, his hands covering his face, "Whatever you're about to say, no, absolutely not, I will not be your accomplice to almost accidentally intentionally breaking a law again!"

I burst out into laughter, "Hey! That was one time!"

"One time too many," Paul muttered under his breath.

"I was just about to ask you if you wanted to come to dinner!" I said, still laughing and throwing my hands up in defense.

Paul immediately straightened up in his seat, "Oh," he said, "That is not what I was expecting at all."

"Yeah, clearly." I joked and he rolled his eyes.

"That sounds good actually, I miss your mom's cooking." Paul agreed.