III: The New Family

The New Family:

My dad died in a car accident when I was eight years old. My brother, Parker, and I were in the car with him. It's a terrible thing to lose a parent. After dad died, mom was a wreck. Parker was only eleven years old at the time, but for the next year he practically raised me while our mom grieved. Parker goes to Michigan State which is about an hour away, and he comes to visit once a month. I miss him a lot. Mom and Dad's love was so strong, that I never imagined she could ever find love again. I want her to be happy, I really do. Everyone deserves to find love.

My mom introduced me to the two strange men in our house. One was Jon, her boyfriend of 7 months apparently, and his son, Lucas, who had just graduated college. I greeted them both in shock and thankfully then, my older brother Parker walked into the house. I later found out he had driven in to have dinner with us and meet mom's new boyfriend. 

I had lost myself in thought when Parker nudged me from under the table, and I popped my head up to look around, everyone at the table looked at me expectantly. "Pardon?" I asked.

"I was just asking how practice went, and Jon wanted to know what for, and guess what? It turns out Lucas was in 2vs2 as well." My mom relayed enthusiastically.

"That's crazy." I replied quietly, "How'd you do?" I asked, directing my attention to Lucas.

He smiled warmly at me before his expression turned slightly grim, "We made it into the Quarter-finals before taking a hard loss to Creekview, 3-2. Watch out for Johnson Creek though, I've heard they play dirty." Lucas replied.

"Oh trust me, I know" I replied, "I got soaked in the library today because one of those jerks set off the sprinkler."

It was weird to be at dinner with Jon and Lucas, my future... stepdad and stepbrother. It was especially weird that my mom had kept this a secret for seven months. I guess her late night phone calls, and more relaxed nature at the end of last school year kind of explained things.

I almost felt a bit hurt that she kept this from me, three years after dad died, when I was eleven, mom and I had grown really close. I thought we told each other everything.

I'm sure there was casual conversation going on, but I was stuck in my thoughts so I didn't hear it when I spoke up, "When is Jon moving in?"

Mom hesitated in whatever she'd just been about to say. "Well sweetie, if it's okay with you they're gonna move in next month."

"And you'll have to meet Jessica, my fiancé. She's a nurse in the ER, so she couldn't be here tonight but she'll be moving in too. We're just saving up money by living with you guys while we look for a house of our own." Lucas explained.

"Ooh you'll love Jessica!" Mom exclaimed as she clapped excitedly. "I was going to tell you, me and you are going dress shopping with her and her mom next weekend."

"Awesome." I replied softly. I supposed I was still in shock. It was weird to see mom moving on, but if she was happy I guess I was too.

Jon and Lucas also seemed nice enough. I wasn't too broken up about it. I knew no one could ever replace dad, but I just wanted mom to be happy.

+++

After dinner, Jon and Lucas left together, and Parker drove back to his dorm. As soon as Mom shut the door, she turned to me.

Her face immediately crinkled up into a cross between sadness and guilt. "Sydney, I am so sorry I didn't tell you. I just wasn't sure how to tell you."

"Mom, it's fine." I replied and opened my arms as she hugged me.