Chapter Twenty-Two: Emma Evangeline Marsh, How Dare You Lie to Me!

Emma did her best to follow her teacher's command. However, how could the three of them remain calm when death had brushed their paths not once, but twice? Now, Death seemed to visit them for a third time as Mrs. Marsh glared down at them impatiently.

A cold sweat cooled her neck when Emma became certain that death was truly out to get her.

There was another thundering stomp when Mrs. Marsh swooped in closer. Emma and Willow pressed their backs deeper into the wooden bench. Their shaky hands clasped together, praying that someone would save them from the woman's intimidating gaze.

"So, that's how you two want to play it, hm?" Mrs. Marsh bit at their silence. The ominous vein had made a triumphant return on her forehead - twitching with every bitter word. Meanwhile, an impatient finger tapped against the hip of her worn cotton gown as her throat rumbled with a deep growl. "Alright," she huffed before raising three fingers in the air, "Either, one of you will answer me or there are going to be some major consequences!"

The girls' prayer tightened when one of Mrs. Marsh's fingers fell.

"One!"

Immediately, Willow's mouth flew open. Though, only a high-pitched song erupted from the little witch's frightened lips causing her eyes to widen in horror.

The little witch's voice ached to find the words. Her cursed throat tightened with every fragile plea while her tongue went awfully numb. It swelled slightly causing the witch's fair cheeks to puff out awkwardly. Willow's gray eyes became cloudy once more as they turned to Emma.

Another finger dropped to the woman's palm.

"Two!"

Already gazing at her mother, Emma pleaded with the angered woman. "W-We're sorry, Mom," she hiccupped. Taking a deep breath, Emma's dry throat croaked, "But the fire wasn't our fault, I swear!"

Mrs. Marsh's brow twitched at her daughter's trembling voice. For a moment, they thought the woman's wintery glare would finally break. But, when the vicious vein on her temple pressed fiercely into Mrs. Marsh's skull, her anger seemed to worsen.

Still holding a single finger in the air, Mrs. Marsh's lips thinned as she asked, "If it wasn't you, then who was it?"

Emma's breath hitched in her throat. Recalling the promises she made to the Grand Wizard, she swallowed painfully. "I-I-"

"You?" Mrs. Marsh pressed.

Emma watched in horror as the dreaded finger twitched anxiously closer to her mother's palm. Willow whimpered at her side, squeezing her hands tightly, while Blu gazed up at his friend. Large sapphires glittered at her feet, begging her to stand her ground.

"I," she choked, silently preparing herself for what was to come. "I have no idea."

At her words, Mrs. Marsh's once pleasant face crinkled into a bloodcurdling scowl. Her jaw tightened as the final finger fell. The girls and their furry friend huddled together while Mrs. Marsh's cold hazel eyes became a dark and eerie brown. Already, they could feel the air shifting at the woman's fury and their lifespans shortened dramatically when Mrs. Marsh took in a steamy breath.

"Emma Evangeline Marsh," she hissed shakily, "how dare you lie to me!"

Within a blink of an eye, Mrs. Marsh's quick hand snatched the tip of Emma's ear and held it firmly in her grasp. The girl winced as her mother's nails dug deeply into the skin.

"Ow," she yelped while Mrs. Marsh pulled her to stand. Willow's swollen tongue blabbed a sound that was similar to Emma's name. The little witch's shaky hands fought to keep the girl on the bench with the help of Blu's teeny paws. Though, their efforts only made Mrs. Marsh's nails bite harder into Emma's ear causing her to whine. "Ow, ow, ow!"