Prologue

It was the first of August and the queen sat in her room, accompanied by her two twin sons. It was nighttime and her curtains were open to let the beautiful moonlight in but still, there were two lit candles on top of the table in her room with both of her sons across from her. She was an elegant one, her beautiful moss green hair flowed in the gentle breeze in her room as she held her soft hands.

On her face was a mask. It had the color of a tree's bark, with two holes on where her eyes were so she could see and show off her beautiful white eyes; she had no pupils nor irises. Her mask was carved to match that of a tree's texture and there were splotches of gold and Tyrian purple, to represent her two sons that meant the world to her.

Her sons stared at her nervously for a small bottle of poison was in front of their dear mother. They too were wearing masks, this time it were white masks with different lacerations and decor for each twin.

The twin with a golden sun on the cheek of his mask was prince Dream while other twin with a silver moon was Nightmare. They were REALLY nervous... It was time, their mother had to commit 'Byahi' because she was a queen that bore sons.

The queen placed her hand on the ties that held her mask in place and unwrapped it before placing her mask on the table. The two brothers gulped as they sweated, they really feared for the future.

What if they never find a worthy partner?

What if the kingdom falls under their reign?

The queen smiled as he stared at her beautiful and flawless offsprings. Her sons' expression under the mask contradicted hers.

She gently grabbed the bottle and held it up to her mouth, and drank the concuction made of slow acting poison. She was in the beautiful age of 49 and her sons could do nothing but stare with sadness and tears at their mother.

"Mother, a-are you sure that we can manage the kingdom without you? Besides, the other kingdoms don't know of our special traditions. I don't t-think they'll ever respect our traditions if they found out about 'Byahi'." Dream said with worry under his painted white mask.

Their mother only smiled at them, it was bittersweet.

She took a deep breath and asked "Have you two finished the task I asked of you?", completely unanswering Dream's question. The two sighed before nodding and placed a stack of invitations on the table. Invitations to give to the Culoare kingdom, Falla kingdom, Zhnets kingdom, and all the kingdoms, even the poor kingdoms. All of those invitations were written by hand by none other than the two brothers.

The queen stared at the envelopes before smiling, she said in a calm voice "Ah... Thank you my sweet sons, I hope you two find someone, whether they be man or woman but be sure that they are the one for you.".

Dream couldn't hold it no longer and he hugged his brother who only stared blankly. "Mother, why must you commit Byahi? You are the most revered and loved ruler of this kingdom, you don't have to do this, we still need your guidance." Nightmare said as he shed a tear.

His mother only stared at him with disappointment. "It is a tradition son, 50 years in the world of the living and 50 years in the world of the dead for all queens. I will die next year and you two shall takeover, and that's that, I can not bend those rules or I will disgrace this whole palace.". Their mom replied before putting her mask back on.

The twins only cried as their mother happily smiled under a mask.

The queen got up from her bed and she felt legs weaken but it wasn't enough to pull her down. She walked over to her sons and wrapped her hands around them before shedding a tear herself. "I shall guide you two one more time before my final breath, I trust that you two will never forget my teachings." She said in a voice that cracked from the emotion of sadness. Her sons hugged back and they cried even more...

"Sh-shhhhh.... Don't cry.." She coed but it did nothing to stop her sons from balling their eyes out. In the end, she sighed out of defeat and stood there, comforting her sons.

After the last tear fell from their faces, The queen soflty called out for a servant. "Mrs. Figura, please collect the invitations here and hand them all out to all the kingdoms!" The queen exclaimed, asking for service and a tall masked woman entered her room.

"Yes, my lady." Mrs. Figura said and walked towards the papers on the table. She carefully carried them all with magic before bowing to the royal family, and she left through the door. The two brothers stared at their mother's mask, carefully placing every detail in their minds for they will no longer see this comforting mask anymore...

The Kingdom of Vesperimane would be ruled by the next generation soon...