Chapter 8 - Bad Wine

"That's the evening bell." Night pointed out and broke eye-contact from Killer. The shorter was practically stunned at how quickly the moment lasted and awkwardly turned to where Night was looking; there he saw a tall bell tower ringing on its own. He tried to forget his thoughts and tried to ponder about how the bell tower could ring without any one hitting it with a mallet.

"We should be going now." Night informed and prince Killer nodded in agreement. The purple one then grabbed a vine and gestured for Killer to come closer. The prince, not sure of what was to come but was somewhat excited, decided to walk into Night's arms. Without any thought or precautions, Night instructed him calmly saying "Okay, just wrap your arms around my neck and your legs around my waist.". Killer immediately burst into a shade of strawberries and asked, wanting him to reiterate what he had said because he couldn't believe it.

Night said it again in a confused manner and after he reached the last word, he paused; finally realizing what his words sounded like to Killer. "Uhm... I'm sorry for the misconception...It's just-" Night tried to say but was stopped when Killer wrapped himself around him. "Shh... Let's just go now. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone about your WILD objectives~"Killer whispered into his none existent ear and the purple escort practically froze.

Killer giggled at his reaction and then asked "Go on, what were you gonna originally do with me?". "U-uhm...uh...so... Just hold on tight." Night replied and Killer did as so. The escort then secured Killer in his arms before tightening his grip on the vine. At this point, Killer could finally realize what was about to happen but before he could say anything, Night suddenly spoke again,
"You might want to close your eyes if you're afraid of falling...".

"Close my what?"

"Your eyes."

Night suddenly jumped off the branch and Killer gasped. The two went down the vine as they twirled around and the prince was left bewildered as he viewed everything in slow motion. The leaves, the little bits of bioluminescent flower buds, fire flies, and the wind that blew through them... Everything was setting Killer up to fall for this man that held him at this very moment.

When they finally arrived on the ground, Night placed Killer on his feet and inquired about his feelings. The prince in return, hugged the escort, thanking him for the lovely experience which made him smile. The two then walked through the park, forgetting what their initial goals were and explored every patch. Together with Night, Killer was enlightened more and more about the environment of Vesperimane and it's people.

They played with the children, smelt and gawked at the flowers, tried "unseen" magic and more! Night found himself in a daze as they kept rushing round and round, trying to take the kingdom in more and more. He was especially bedazzled by Killer's enthusiasm and child-like excitement as they touched and rolled around in different kinds of grass, ate magic cookie samples, and ran through the houses and shops. The prince really had his fun!

They met Wonderful people, magic-users, knights, and all! Prince Killer was also educated along the way about the kingdom of Vesperimane's diverse population and other unspoken customs. He was also relieved by how the Vesperites were really welcoming to his ignorant behavior around town.

Night could do nothing but watch as his interest in Killer grew more and more. He liked Killer's flattering nature and how good he was fitting in with the locals. Every time he was with the prince, it felt like a dream...no he felt like he was in the promised land. Killer's hand was rough but it was clear to him that he was open and respectful to everyone around him. Quite a contrast to all the other royals if you asked him.

"Oh!"

Night immediately snapped out of his thoughts as he turned to Killer who was petting a stray cat. "Is anything of the wrong, my prince?" Night asked and Killer turned to him with a curious expression. "Are the preparations ready at this time? I'm quite excited for the ball to come!" Killer asked and Night froze at that before looking back at the clock tower that showed that they were more than late to the agreed time.

Night then broke into a cold sweat before pointing out "Oh! I-it's 8:30... We should get to the palace. The food must be ready by now.". Killer then perked up at that before standing up with excitement, carrying the stray cat in his arms. Night's eyes then widen at that before chuckling, asking "Did you pick up a new friend?". Killer nodded gleefully and held out the cat, saying "Yes! Just look at this fluff of a ball! She hasn't got a collar and she doesn't have a magical number.".

Night smiled at that before replying "Oh? Is that so? Then you can have her." Killer then broke out into a happy craze and hugged Night, the cat being forced to hug Night too. The two then headed to the castle, excited for what was about to happen.

As the guards welcomed them at the entrance, the two quickly rushed in, intertwining their free hands as they did. Killer then stopped and looked around, amazed by the architecture of the whole palace. He hugged the mewing cat tight as he twirled around, looking at the gorgeous and detailed paintings on the ceiling. Night decided to slow down and he watched as Killer's eyes trailed around the place with wonder.

The prince was also surprised by how many guards were stationed around the castle, he could barely count. The paintings, murals and prints on the castle walls sparked interest in the prince as he wondered around, practically bombarding Night with questions. Night could do nothing but sigh as he let the prince do his thing.

He could tell that he was...starting to fall for his genuinity.

Suddenly, a group of knights rushed passed the two, making Killer almost drop the cat. The two looked at eachother in confusion before coming after the guards that seemed panicked and alarmed. Night was especially dumbfounded yet alarmed as he knew that the guards were heading to the venue of the ball and feast. The escort practically gripped the prince by the wrist and dragged him towards the said place.

Killer had no idea of what was happening but he knew that it was probably an emergency, noticing Night's distressed behavior.

And when they reached the venue...

They saw the royals surrounding someone. The knights were panicking all around. Some passed out, some were shocked, some were scared. Nigh stood in shock and Killer immediately rushed to the utmost end of the table in a panic. He removed his gloves and checked the body that now laid face down on the table for a pulse. The medics could do nothing.

She was dead.

The queen was dead with a chalace of spilt plum wine in her hand.