Chapter Twelve

"Who are you, exactly?" [M/n] asked.

"That doesn't matter!"

"It matters to me. I don't even know if I can believe you," [M/n] stated while staring suspiciously.

Earlier, [M/n] was silently enjoying his book when suddenly someone knocked on his door. When he ignored it, the person from the other side grew more impatient and started punching knocking continuously on his door, which is something that [M/n] finds as annoying.

When he opened the door, he found a happy human boy instead of the usual grey-haired vampire noble. The boy had tan, brown skin, and brown eyes, and was also wearing the typical livestock outfit.

Before [M/n] could even speak, the boy shoved and placed a red envelope into his hand.

"Please just take it, I need the food."

"..food?" [M/n] was seriously getting more confused.

The boy nodded in glee, "He told me if I gave you this, he'll give me much more delicious food than the ones we get!"

[M/n] sighed and finally took the letter from the boy's hand. The boy bowed and shouted a 'Thank you!' before leaving with his group of friends. Even though [M/n] wanted to ask specifically who ordered the boy, he decided not to.

Is it Ferid? It must be, who else would be 'nice' enough to give children a 'bonus.'

Turning around and walking inside the mansion, he slowly opened the striking red envelope, successfully slicing the white wax. Pulling out the letter, he frowned when he couldn't find any words written on it. "Isn't this just a blank paper?"

Scratching his head, [M/n] flipped the paper back and forth to find anything written. Once he confirmed there was absolutely nothing, [M/n] did the same to the envelope.

"What kind of stupid prank is this?" [M/n] questioned, no one in particular in mind.

After giving up and putting the blank letter back inside, he placed it inside his [f/c] bag that was hung from a hook on the wall of his bedroom. Suddenly, he heard a voice from outside his mansion.

"Attention to all vampire progenitors! You have all been called by The Vampire Queen Krul Tepes. Please head to the meeting chambers now."

"Aah, [M/n] you're here." Krul's voice echoed as the vampire walked inside the chamber. Her voice was harsh yet cheery in [M/n]'s ears.

"Now then, let's begin the meeting," Ferid said as he pressed a button to start the meeting with the other nobles. He stood in the middle while Krul sat gracefully on a chair. [M/n] didn't know what position he should be in so he just stood beside the pink-haired queen.

Immediately, a couple of familiar faces floated around them, their faces in the transparent square screen. Some faces greeted [M/n] with a smile, and the rest looked at him with a frown.

"[M/n], it's been a while!" A new screen opened, and the face of Lest Karr greeted the [h/c]nette with a toothy grin. The [h/c] haired male returned the gesture before Ferid clasped his hand to bring everyone's attention to him.

"As we all know, and from what we discussed in the last meeting, the Seraph from the battlefield was one of the guinea pigs who possessed the seraph gene. This means that humans have acquired and are using forbidden weapons again us. But based on the intel from one of our spies, even though for only a few seconds, they were able to confirm in the human's lab, the seraph gene isn't the only sacred gene that they acquired," Ferid's crimson eyes turned to slits.

A round of gasps and confused stares filled the room. Ferid continued, "The gene they acquired is called the theós gene, the most forbidden of them all."

"That is impossible!" One of the female progenitors shouted, her face enraged. She slowly breathes in before continuing, "We vampires eliminated the organization hundreds of years ago. The forbidden genes they had were all exterminated."

Ferid responded, "That's what we thought too. Krul and I were appalled when we received this information."

"Ferid, what makes you think that you can trust this spy of yours?" Lest questioned.

"Believe me, he is earnest at his job. Now, may I continue?" Ferid asked back at the male.

He agreed, and the silver-haired vampire continued, "A new batch of these genes are being transferred for unknown reasons. That is the perfect chance for us to take it before more catastrophic things fall to us."

"Is this where I come in?" [M/n] whispered to Krul. She nodded and then stood up from her seat. "The location isn't that far from the Vampire City and will happen in a few more hours-"

"A few more hours? You aren't really giving us a choice here, huh? Isn't that right, Krul Tepes?" Lest Karr said in a mocking voice.

Krul glared at the vampire but didn't recorrect his words. Instead, she continued, "The task of taking the batch will be given to [M/n]. After retrieving it, we will look at it ourselves and discuss what to do next."

Krul looked at Ferid, giving him a signal to end the call. The call stopped, and the last thing [M/n] saw from Lest's face is disturbance and worry.

"So, why didn't the two of you tell me anything about this?" [M/n] asked, his voice laced with a lazy, simmering spite. Ferid grinned, "We only knew about this for a while, and I didn't know when to bring it in our lovely chats."

"Here," Krul uttered while giving [M/n] a map. "It'll help you since you get lost a lot. We don't want you to be late."

"When will they arrive?" [M/n] questioned. I'm still not sure I'll get there in time.

"Two more hours, you better hurry though. Walking there takes three hours." Ferid stated while patting [M/n]'s shoulder gently.

"Why did I get this job?" [M/n] mumbled with a frown, huffing before leaving the room with the map.