39

Jesus Christ, what sort of Juvie had a banquet hall as luxurious as this?

I just remember briefing forgetting everything, my purpose, who was with me. All I could register was how heavenly and bizarre this place was. 

Cuisines from all over the world were placed with attention to detail over the table. Glassware so elaborately decorated, something I could only see in TVs. Porcelain plates, pearly white table cloths, gold spoons and forks of all sizes for each diner. I was appalled, I had imagined some sort of fanciness but never to this extent. Judging from all this exuberant decadence, I imagined that whoever hosted this wanted to flaunt their wealth, their power

Why? I mean, I too wondered why someone would dine like Midas but looking at the people around me, I suddenly knew. Secretary of Public Affairs, Mayor of Jeju, Chief Commissioner of the Southern District, Chairperson of Samsung's Executive Board. For once I thank Dr. Hwa for lecturing me about knowing important figures in South Korea's government. 

Of course all were wearing masks, but I recognized their voices. Your father also made me watch the news during some of our meetings. He was very meticulous about me recognizing everything given that  just in the case that we might have another nasty encounter like Euphoria. 

"Woah...Joongie..." Mingi's jaw was wide open and he seemed even more awed than I was, "this is so cool..."

"Just because it looks rich doesn't mean we're safe."

What was going on? When did all of these important people, some with backgrounds that barely aligned, suddenly congregate into this place? Where were even we? Surely we are still in Jeju island but definitely outside the Juvenile Compound.

The idea of escape sounded appealing all of a sudden but then I'd figure it would actually work against me. Where would I be able to live peacefully as a runaway criminal? Also, there was absolutely guards outside this room, just because there weren't any here, doesn't mean there are people guarding. The host had to know that we criminals were here too and had to accommodate. 

The more I thought of it, the more frightened I became. Everyone's identity was concealed which worked but us but also isolated us. We were basically criminals and if some of these people knew Jeju Juvenile Detention Center would undergo violent changes. 

There were no bodyguards present yet the exits were closed. Amidst all the shimmer and bling there were brick walls surrounding us, whatever trace of the door we came from effaced. This, was no different from a prison cell, perhaps even more unforgiving than our own. 

Due to the material and the properties of the brick wall's assemblage it felt cold, the air was static. The atmosphere however was still lively contradicting the nature of it's settings.

Mingi was about to grab some entrees but I held his wrist. What if the food was poisoned? Or had some drugs in them? I knew my limits on alcohol and certain types of drugs (that Yunho had given me) but what about Mingi, who viewed the word with starry eyes that sparkled through the darkest nights?