Chapter 406 - What a Pity

Rosè Yang hadn't thought she would find herself at a social gathering so soon. She wasn't prepared to stumble upon so many familiar faces, but equally familiar intentions. When she mentioned a small banquet, Rosè Yang assumed it would be a handful of people.

The muslin silk curtains, open-garden, and adequate classical music played by a live choir indicated it was hardly a tiny banquet. The people here were meant to socialize and mingle. It was Autumn, but certain species of flowers were splendidly blooming, their petals dangling with gleaming dew.

A large and untouched piano sat upon an empty stage, presumably awaiting the genius who would bless the audience today.

"Sweet child, you have arrived." Lin Miyeon was dressed as graceful as Rosè Yang remembered. A grey shawl made from merino wool was snuggly wrapped around her neck while her hands were draped with vintage jade and nothing less. Minimal make-up concealed some fine wrinkles, but she showed off the rest without shame. Her unwavering confidence towards the marks on her face was what made her so charming in the first place. She was simple and dignified, even after years of farming had toughened her hands.

"I apologize for ambushing you like this. I too had expected a small group of people, but my rubbish son declared it would be best to invite others. The more the merrier he claims, but I just think he's lonely and is in dire need of a companion." Lin Miyeon flicked her wrist in a disapproving manner toward the direction of her son who was entertaining a group of leisurely dressed men. Their outfits weren't special, but Rosè Yang knew better. The most important people were often ones who dressed as plainly as possible, for there would be no consequence for their outfits.

Park Jimin was the only exception, but that was because he was raised to be as rigid and upright as possible. He liked to dress his best and she certainly wasn't going to stop him from doing so. Anything he wore, even if it was a trash-bag, could be something seen during Paris Fashion Week.

"How is the baby coming along? Perfectly safe I assume? I heard having a miscarriage can raise the chances of another one, but I hope nothing goes amiss with your dear pregnancy." Lin Miyeon's unfiltered words startled Rose Yang whose eyes widened the slightest bit, so unnoticeable, one had to look closely to realize the fleeting light in her eyes.

Rosè Yang was glad her heart didn't quiver at such words. She held her ground and gently smiled, "Don't worry, Matriarch Lin. All is well. Though the news has not been revealed to the public, it would be in our best interests to keep it private for now."

"And who is 'our'?"

Rosè Yang's encouraging smile said it all. Lin Miyeon was amused and highly entertained to see Rose Yang was not the type to bow down in the face of authority. She had purposely made her words taunting with the intent of sending small jabs towards the pregnant woman. It seemed Rose Yang was not as weak as she had previously expected her to be...

"You have a way with words, don't you? I presume your sharp-tongued grandfather taught you that." Lin Miyeon chuckled low, her smile hiding her intent of further questioning Rose Yang. Her method of getting to understand a person's intent was unorthodox in the way it went for a person's weak spots.

"If you think he's sharp-tongued, you're clearly unfamiliar with me, Matriarch Lin."

"Didn't I say I would appreciate it if you called me grandmother?"

"You certainly don't treat me like your granddaughter." Rosè Yang's face was dripping with kindness, as if she was chatting about the Matriarch's well-being, instead of having a slight face-off.

Lin Miyeon grabbed the nearest ceramic cup with spiraling ridges, made from an older technique of pottery. This child was simply too entertaining to talk to. "Such behavior can be deemed disrespectful. I thought you were taught to bow down to your elders?"