The Kitchen

Rae's world stopped spinning on its axis. Every organ in her body now rearranging. She stood frozen in the blistering cold just staring at Chris. His hands hung sadly by his side, waiting for he to speak, to move, to do anything.

It took Lorraine to come out and intervene.

"You's better come back in here or you will catch your death." She said chittering with her arms across her chest.

Rae could only nod as she made her way inside, looking up at Chris' puppy dog eyes as she slipped past him.

"Come on then," She muttered to him, "Tea?"

Chris let out a sad breathy chuckle, "Sounds good." He replied following her inside.

An hour of awkward silence ensued, with Lorraine occasionally clearing her throat in a futile attempt to alleviate the tension.

Sensing the need to break free from the discomfort, Chris pushed his chair back and stood up. "I, uh, I think it's best if I go," he said sadly.

Rae tilted her head dismissively, questioning, "Go where? It's Christmas Eve."

Running his hand through his hair and turning his cap backwards, Chris replied, "Yeah, you're right. But I can find a hotel room. I know it's Christmas tomorrow, but do you have an hour to spare for us to talk?" He asked sheepishly, his gaze fixed on her, waiting for a response.

Lorraine indiscreetly shuffled out of the kitchen, closing the squeaky door behind her.

Rae rolled her eyes and let out a long, hesitant sigh. "Just stay here," she said in one breath.

"I can't. I don't want to pressure you," Chris replied.

Pinching her brow tightly, grateful for the lack of nerves in that moment, Rae looked up and said, "I want you to stay. I'm just... I'm struggling."

"With what?" Chris asked, his voice filled with concern. Her words struck him deeply, causing his bottom lip to disappear between his teeth.

"Protecting myself," she confessed earnestly. Her words hit him hard in the chest.

"Which is exactly why I should leave," he concluded.

Rae nodded, acknowledging that leaving was the most sensible decision. It was the logical choice to make. However, she never considered herself to be particularly intelligent. "You should go," she said, her voice tinged with fear, "but I want you to stay. I'm terrified that when the snow melts and everything comes to an end, I'll be consumed by all of that fucking sadness again."

Chris's shoulders deflated, a small smile settled on his lips trying to offer reassurance, "But Rae, it doesn't have to end. You understand that, don't you?"

Rae shook her head, a single tear escaping her eye. "But it will end, and then I'll simply wither away." She was aware of her tendency to be overly dramatic, but the truth was that she had barely survived the last time, even though they weren't officially in a relationship.

Covering his mouth, Chris took a cautious step towards her. "I'm going to leave now, but I'll see you tomorrow or the day after. I won't go home until we have a conversation, alright?"

He squeezed past her, feeling the tiny kitchen closing in on him as he made his way towards the door.

"I love you," he whispered, leaning down to gently kiss her temple. "I really do."

Just as he was about to leave, Rae grabbed his wrist, her grip firm. "Please stay."

"Are you sure?" he asked, his voice filled with concern.

She shook her head, uncertainty evident on her face. "I think... maybe. I don't know," she shrugged. "All I know is that I don't want you to leave."

"Mum?" Rae called out, and Lorraine appeared almost instantly, clearly eavesdropping.

"Yes?" Lorraine responded, her curiosity piqued.

"Can Chris stay the night and spend Christmas here?" Rae asked, her voice filled with hope.

"Of course. Should I prep the sofa, or will you two be... um, what about... I can..." Lorraine stumbled over her words, flustered by the sudden request.

Rae glanced up at Chris, her eyes filled with nervousness. "He'll sleep in my room," she said, offering him a shy smile.