The New Housemate

Jenny sat in the basement with Donna. The faint sounds of Led Zeppelin played in the background as the girls enjoyed each other's presence. They were comfortable in the silence that the two created. The two started the afternoon with homework. Both of them working on different classes that decided to give them excruciating assignments. As time went on, the magazines that sat on the table seemed to be calling their names, so they sat- each with their own copies- reading the different articles Cosmo had to offer. Jenny hummed along quietly to the song that was playing as she flipped through the pages. She landed on a quiz and started taking it in her head.

"Did you see the article on page eight about Carly Simon?" Donna asked excitedly, placing her magazine on the table. Jenny nodded her head, lowering the magazine from her face.

"Yes! I can't believe no one can figure out who she wrote 'You're So Vain' about!" Jenny said interestedly. "I still think it's about Warren Beatty."

"No way, it has to be about James Taylor. He always gave off a weird feeling." Donna cringed at her words.

"But she's married to him."

"That doesn't matter!" She said returning to the magazine in hand. Jenny thought about it. Maybe Donna was right. His songs are overly positive for the most part. The two returned to their silence. It wasn't until they heard the sound of the basement door opening that they finally looked up. Eric and Hyde rushed down the stairs quickly.

"He yelled at me, man! Really yelled!" Hyde was talking quickly to Eric. He held his army green duffle over his shoulder. Eric smirked at Jenny as they reached the landing.

"Who yelled at you?" Donna asked curiously. Hyde placed his bag on the floor behind the couch, he shook his head taking a seat in his chair. Jenny could sense something was off, but decided not to poke especially with Donna and Eric present.

"No one." He said as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. He didn't pick up a magazine, didn't turn on the TV, he just stared straight ahead trying to figure out what he was going to do. Jenny furrowed her eyebrows at him, what happened? She turned to Eric who stood behind the couch. She looked up at him curiously. He shrugged, not catching Jenny's drift. She raised her eyebrows at the boy trying to get him to understand. "Take Donna somewhere else." She conveyed with her eyes. He looked at her, confused for a few seconds before a look of understanding crossed his face. He nodded vigorously.

"Hey Donna, wanna go to The Hub?" Eric asked innocently. Donna placed the magazine on the table and nodded.

"Sure" Her words were light as she got up from her seat. She waved goodbye to Jenny as the two walked out the door. Jenny looked back down at her magazine letting a few minutes go by. She wanted to talk to him. To know what happened, but she knew she had to be strategic.

"So..." She dropped the magazine on the couch next to her and turned to face Hyde who was still staring into the distance. "What happened?"

"Nothing happened." He shot back a little more intently than he intended. Jenny nodded, thinking about what to say next.

"I think we both know that isn't true." She let her sentence hang in the air before continuing. "Maybe you should tell me what's going on. I might be able to ease some thoughts." She looked over to Hyde who sat now staring at the floor. He wanted to tell her. He was desperate to tell her. He just didn't know how.

"I don't know how to tell you." His thoughts rolled right off his tongue. Jenny nodded looking around the room.

"Well why don't we start with, who was yelling at you?"

"Red" he answered confidently, avoiding Jenny's gaze.

"Okay, why did he yell at you?"

"He was frustrated because Mrs. Forman wants me to live here for a little bit." Jenny raised her eyebrows slightly at his words. She didn't want to give too much reaction, she thought it might turn him away.

"And why does she want that?" She was getting more information every step of the way.

"My mom's not coming back any time soon." His voice was a level above a whisper. "Maybe ever." Jenny smiled sadly at the floor.

"Well, it sounds like my mom really cares about you." She didn't want to mention his mother. She knew he wouldn't want to talk about it.

"It's just- God she's such a- she's such an asshole!" His voice raised as he got up from the chair. He started pacing the room. Jenny watched from her seat on the couch. "I mean how do you abandon your own son? And for what? Just to run away with some low life that will probably leave her within the next week?" The words came out quickly as he paced back and forth. "Come on! She could've at least taken me! I would've been great in New York!"

"Your mom went to New York?"

"What?" Hyde stopped in his tracks and looked at Jenny, he was thrown off by her question. "I don't know. That's not the point!" He started pacing again. "She left and then Red screamed at me to get in the car. I was doing fine on my own! I didn't need his help! I don't need anyone's help!"

"Steven, when was the last time you ate?" Jenny asked calmly, getting up from her spot on the couch. He watched her come around and stand right in front of him. Hyde thought about her question. He couldn't remember the last time he had an actual meal.

"I don't know." His voice returned to a whisper. Jenny looked up at him and placed her hands on each of his arms.

"Sometimes we all need a little help. Mom noticed and as much of a hardass my father is, he saw it too." Hyde returned his eyes to the floor and sighed heavily. He knew she was right, she always was. "I'm glad you're here Steven." Her words made him lift his head. She smiled up at him before releasing his arms. She turned on her heel and took a step back toward the couch, but Hyde grabbed her hand pulling her towards him. He engulfed her in a hug. He didn't realize how much he needed her until that very moment.