The Stars

Angela crept into her garage and slowly opened the fridge. She peered around making sure her father wasn't outside. Once she knew she was safe, she quickly grabbed two beers, shut the door quickly, and ran out of the garage leaving the light on in the process. She made her way to the front yard where Hyde sat, his legs pulled to his chest. She stopped a few feet away and looked at him sadly. She felt bad for the boy, with his parents abandoning him and his dad showing up out of the blue, she was surprised he wasn't a mess. The light from the living room cascaded out into the yard and caught the blonde in Hyde's hair, making it glow slightly. He fashioned his pair of sunglasses even though the sun had gone away for the evening. He looked up at the sky as Angela handed him both beers. He quickly opened the bottles and handed one back to her before taking a long drink of his own. The two sat in silence, letting the sounds of the crickets sing to them. Angela looked up into the sky and found the moon, she smiled at its shape, and it smiled back. She looked over to Hyde who was looking straight ahead. She could tell the run-in with his father was eating away at him. She took a drink of her beer before speaking up.

"I'm sorry about tonight." Hyde scoffed at her words before returning to the sky.

"Don't be, it was nothing." He brushed off the topic and took another long drink of beer. Angela looked back at the sky too and spotted a cluster of stars. They burned bright up there and she admired truly just how bright they were since they could see them all the way from Earth.

"You see that group of stars up there?" She leaned in, their shoulders touching. She pointed towards the stars. Hyde nodded in agreement. "That's Ursa Major. You see it's attached to the Big Dipper which is there."

"Why do they call it Ursa Major?" Hyde asked jokingly, though Angela took it seriously.

"Ursa Major is Latin for 'greater bear'. If you look to the right of the Big Dipper you can see the outline of the bear." Hyde caught himself staring at Angela as she explained the constellation. She was even prettier when she was interested in what she was talking about. She looked over at him which snapped him out of his daze and he quickly looked back at the sky. She smiled as her cheeks turned a bright red. She was grateful that the darkness of the sky hid it.

"Where?" He asked, embarrassed that she caught him staring. She chuckled softly and grabbed a hold of his arm. She sculpted his hand so his index finger was pointed toward the sky. She then guided his hands from each star, outlining the shape in the sky.

"See?" She went over each star in a pattern. "Here's the tail... and here's the body... and then finally the head!" She smiled at the stars and gently put Hyde's arm back to his side. Hyde was still looking up at the sky when his face filled with a look of understanding.

"I see it!" He said excitedly. He kept his eyes on the spot because if he looked away he was afraid he'd lose it. Angela looked over at him and smiled. She admired his features. His curly dirty blonde hair was extra frizzy due to the summer heat. He wore a small smile on his face and her heart started to beat quickly. She was glad he was smiling, she didn't see it often. Hyde could feel her eyes on him and after a few seconds he looked away at the sky, Angela's eyes connecting with his. He studied her features, realizing just how gorgeous she was. He licked his lips before speaking.

"Angela I feel like I want to kiss you right now, and you might not kiss me back." Angela's breath caught in her throat and she swallowed thickly.

"Why don't you find out?" She said teasingly, but Hyde wasn't patient enough. He swooped in and connected their lips. He started softly, easing her into the idea, and seconds later she was on board. He grew with aggression as he grabbed the side of her face and deepened the kiss. Angela placed her hands on his knees, trying to steady herself. Hyde pulled away slowly, leaving both of their lips swollen and wanting more. He took off his glasses, placing them on the grass next to him. He laid down on the grass pulling Angela with him. She situated herself and ended up resting her head on his chest.

"Tell me more about the stars," Hyde said quietly. Angela began to explain the many constellations. Hyde listened intently and saw the different pictures in the sky. As she explained, he couldn't help but see the two of them in the stars, and with that idea, all thoughts of his father left his head.