Fire- James Potter

James is eleven years old the first time he gets burnt. It's Moony's birthday. It's a candle on the cake.

It's painful and it stings but it's a pain he can handle.

James is thirteen years old the second time he gets burnt. It's in the Common Room. It's the fireplace.

It's painful and it stings but it's a pain he can handle.

James is fifteen the next time he gets burnt. It's in the Astronomy Tower. It's Regulus Black. It's a forbidden kiss. It's a universe of exploding stars.

And it burns, it burns, it burns.

But it's a pain he would welcome.

James is sixteen the fourth time he gets burnt. He's standing too close to a burning star and he's catching fire. It's been a year of secret meetings, hushed kisses, and forbidden touches. Regulus Black has caught aflame, the fire has spread and James is burning.

And it burns, it burns, it burns.

But he's happy to be scorched.

James is seventeen and he's burning. It's the Room of Requirement. It's a mess of black hair and silver eyes standing in front of him. There's an ink mask on his forearm.

It's betrayal, raw and stinging.

And it burns, it burns, it burns.

James is twenty and he has learned not to play with fire. Not to skim his finger over a candle flame, to back away from open fire, and to keep his distance from the boy made of stardust.

James is twenty-one. He is on fire; his entire reality disintegrating. It's news from the Order. It's a Black heir dead.

It's confusing. But Sirius Black is standing right here. Sirius is alive, Sirius is...

Oh.

It's a star going out.

It's a sting like no other.

And it burns, it burns, it burns.