DAWNING REALITIES

CHAPTER 4
DAWNING REALITIES

       My aunt house was nothing like my fathers house, i was made to do chores every morning and evening, i was not put in school instead my aunt treated me like i was part of the devils team.
  She always said that my father did her something bad in thier youths and that she would let me pay for his sins .
  I was totured, i watched my aunts children go to school while i remained at home cleaning and cooking,i was literally a maid in my fathers sisters house.
        I cried myself to sleep every night ,staring at the moon thinking of papa and mama, i missed papa,back in the village papa always said i was a girl and should be treated like a queen, i went to school, i did little or no chores at home ,every evening i sat at my mothers kitchen by the fireside and watched her prepare dinner,living with my parents was fun,but i had to face the realities of life ,papa was dead ,mama was at the village abandoned,no one cared about us any longer,i felt sick in the stomach,as i sat on the kitchen floors in my aunts house trying to swim around my minds and thoughts in my past and present when suddenly i became soaked with water ,i jerked back to my reality and turned back to see my aunt with a basin of which the contents had already been emptied on my body "ogbanje(a word likely given to people who are considered cursed and are outcasts in the Igbo land) would u get up and fetch water"my aunt queried,then i talked back in protest"aah aunty its around midnight isn't it late" i was replied back with a sound slap "look at this ogbanje oo u are speaking english for me ,you don kpuala(are u mad-pidgin and Igbo dialect)will you stand up and do as i say" soaked in water and tears i stood up took the bucket and made my way to the tap across the street to do as my aunt had instructed.