5 - Number Nine

⤷ 🍰 ----- CH. FIVE
NUMBER NINE

"WE'RE GONNA BE LATE

"WE'RE GONNA BE LATE."

Their flat was in disarray as Darcy grabbed Evan by the back of his collar and quickly ushered Kate out the door.

"You're going to kill me, woman!" Evan said as he tugged himself from Darcy's harsh grasp and just barely caught Kate who'd tumbled outside right after him.

With a protein bar in hand, Kate nearly spat chocolate in Evan's face when Darcy bumped her aside to lock their front door. Evan steadied her again but not with a look of disgust at witnessing half-chewed granola in her mouth.

"Us, she's going to kill us," Kate said after swallowing.

"If I wanted you two dead, you would be already." Darcy linked arms with the both of them. "Now come on, let's go before we're late."

Kate should have been preparing for the Cupcake Bash, Evan too. With it being only a week away and Baked With Love running regular hours, she really didn't have the time to be doing anything else. But as it would seem, Jamie was particularly persuasive about coming to their upcoming match against Brentford.

Not to mention Darcy's obsession with live shows of any kind. Hence, her eagerness to reach the stadium.

Evan shrugged Darcy off. "I'm not going to enjoy it. I'm only coming because—"

She cut him off with a wave of her hand. "Yeah, yeah. We get it. You're a die hard Man City fan, and you're only coming because Kate said you could drive the Aston."

"I hate you."

Darcy smiled sweetly at him. "I hate you more. Now get in the car and drive. I want to buy a jersey."

Evan looked about two seconds from blowing up, so Kate just handed him the keys. "Children, both of you."

"Oh please, you and Jamie are hopeless," Darcy said, slipping into the backseat while Evan and Darcy got into the front.

"We're just friends."

A dangerous glint in her eye, Darcy nodded. "Is that so?"

But before Kate could shut down whatever nefarious plot was brewing in her friend's evil head, Evan started the car and made a sound that could only be described as a satisfied groan.

"We get that this is the car of your wet dreams, but there's no need to make it that known," Darcy said.

Evan rolled his eyes at her and put the car into drive. His eyes flitted to the rearview mirror to see Darcy had yet to put on her seatbelt, and without warning, he hit the gas.