10 - Contractual Obligations

⤷ 🧁 ----- CH. TEN
CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS

JAMIE'S FACE TWISTED at the sour taste of the biscuit

JAMIE'S FACE TWISTED at the sour taste of the biscuit. "Just a wild guess, but is there lemon in this?"

"You want to spit it out, don't you?"

He shook his head, disagreeing. "That would be rude."

Kate pushed the bin towards him, and he spit the rest of the biscuit out anyway.

It was after business hours. Baked With Love was closed and clean, save for the single tray she'd prepared for Jamie to try out. He finished only the mugwort gyeongdan (sweet rice cake ball) and left single bites in both the peach habanero doughnut and the persimmon galettes. And clearly, the lemon biscuit was too sour. She could work with that.

"Rebecca's been asking about you," Jamie said, hopping off the front counter and helping Kate clean up the tasting tray. He followed her to the sink. "She's mad about your matcha strawberry shortcake and black sesame rice cakes."

Rebecca had quickly grown to be a loyal customer of Baked With Love. She had a major sweet tooth as it would seem (with a palate of a teenage girl).

"Tell her I'll swing by to drop off a basket later this week. I'll pack something for the boys, too."

Kate had grown accustomed to the palates of the Richmond team. Bumbercatch often chose the sourest thing in the group, saying it prepared him (for what, he never specified). Sam and Colin liked anything with chocolate, but Sam despised all combinations of orange and chocolate. Isaac, on the other hand, loved fruit tarts and leaned towards Korean flavors compared to Kate's English creations.

Even the office quintet had their preferences, and she noted them all. Ted accepted near all pastries with the exception of tea-based flavors and anything he deemed 'too' English. Trent had a particular taste for custards and cremes, and Leslie rathered he save the desserts for his wife and kids. Roy would usually sneak something while everyone was distracted. And both Beard and Will (funnily enough) precariously picked only things with alcohol.

"You're spoiling them," Jamie said, washing the tray while she tossed the garbage bag outside.

She tsked at him. "Says the one who sneaks jam tarts when he thinks I'm not looking."

He paused, placing the tray in the drying rack. "You saw that?"

"Every time. Now, let's get out of here. I have plans," she said. She sent a quick message to Evan and Darcy that she was on her way before setting the store alarm.