8 - Reflections

⤷ 🧁 ----- CH. EIGHT
REFLECTIONS

Warning: This content may not be fit for all audiences

AMSTERDAM WAS BEAUTIFUL, but tonight it felt hollow—something Jamie strangely found comfort in. Sure, he was operating on overdrive, smiling through it all, but it felt like he had both all the energy in the world and none at all.

They were chasing windmills on bikes, and for the first time in weeks, his head was empty and his heart felt light. His legs burned. His chest felt heavy and his arms were tight, but at least he wasn't thinking about her anymore.

He wasn't thinking about how much he felt her absence. A cold world he returned to without her.

He wasn't remembering the late night walks they used to take together. The sound of her laughter echoing in his ears.

And he certainly wasn't envisioning the way she looked at him when he left. Disappointment and hurt; things he vowed never to make her feel again. A promise he'd broken to himself.

He couldn't get his mind off of her. Even when he slept, there she was.

Rule number four, asshole, is follow through because what's a relationship if you can't fucking commit?

He regretted leaving the moment it happened. He should have stayed. They should have talked. That's why he came over in the first place, but instead, he blew his lid, and everything went to shit. And now, Kate wanted nothing to do with him.

Not to mention he was completely off his game. It was like he was stuck in a daze and couldn't shake himself awake.

"Oi, pay attention!"

Roy's warning came too late.

Gravel and grass softened his landing, and Jamie let out a groan. It seemed, in his stupor, he hadn't seen the large rock in his pathway (much to Roy's chagrin). He flexed his fingers and watch the small scratches pool with blood. Besides his hands and an aching side, he felt fine, but he stayed down.

Roy skidded to an unceremonious halt, abandoning his bike to look down at Jamie. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"I fell."

"Clearly," he said with a scoff. "Listen, I appreciate you teaching me how to ride a bike."

Jamie nodded. "For granddad."

"Right, for granddad, but you're all off. Your head's not in the fucking game right now."

Jamie sat up slowly, looking around. "Sorry, mate, I don't see a football around now, do you? I said I fell."