⤷ i. pilot.

✧*̥˚ chapter one: pilot  *̥˚✧

✧*̥˚ chapter one: pilot *̥˚✧

     The morning sun gently filtered through the tall windows of Tree Hill High School, casting warm rays of light onto the freshly waxed linoleum floors. Lockers lined the walls, painted in hues of blue and white, each displaying an array of stickers, photographs, and handwritten notes that showcased the unique personalities of the students.

The hallway buzzed with teenage energy as students moved through the bustling corridor, their laughter and chatter creating a symphony of youthful vibrancy.

Motivational posters adorned the walls, their bold phrases urging students to reach for the stars and dream big. Bulletin boards showcased colorful flyers advertising various extracurricular activities, from sports tryouts to drama club auditions, tempting students with a world of possibilities.

Among the sea of students, Jennifer Jagielski stood out. Her soft brown eyes scanned the hallway, observing the hustle and bustle around her as she clutched her newly purchased books. Jennifer's mind was focused on finding her locker, her hands tightening around the books as she weaved through the crowd. Finally, her gaze landed on the correct number, and a glimmer of hope flickered within her.

However, her excitement was short-lived. In a moment of distraction, a fellow student, absorbed in their phone, bumped into Jennifer, causing her to stumble. With a mix of annoyance and disappointment, she glared at the student - who didn't even stop to apologize or ask if she was okay - before sighing and making her way toward her locker.

Jennifer pulled out a small piece of paper, its edges frayed and worn, containing the code for her locker. She meticulously scrolled through the numbers on the lock, double-checking to ensure accuracy. With a hopeful anticipation, she attempted to pull the lock open, only to find it stubbornly unyielding. She tried again, applying more force, but the lock remained immovable.

"Great," she muttered, frustration seeping into her voice, "Just what I need." Glancing around the hallway, she noticed it was gradually thinning out. She contemplated seeking her sister's help before homeroom, hoping that she might have better luck with her own locker. However, her sister was nowhere to be seen and Jennifer's quick text to her had been left unread.

Jennifer slumped against her locker, exasperated. She let out a deep sigh and leaned her head back, shutting her eyes in an attempt to find some respite before facing the challenge of opening them again.

At that moment, a voice broke through her contemplation. "Hey, are you okay there?" The voice belonged to a boy who had stopped beside her. His furrowed eyebrows and genuine concern indicated that he had noticed Jennifer's struggle and sincerely wanted to assist.

Turning her attention to him, Jennifer met his blue-eyed gaze. "My locker's stuck. I can't get it open," she confessed, her voice tinged with disappointment.