Chapter 1

"Diana! We're going to be late!" She heard her uncle holler from the bottom of the stairs. Eleven-year-old Diana had been fidgeting in front of her mirror for twenty minutes, anxious for her first day of school. She had been ecstatic the day she received her wand and other school supplies. But now she was just nervous. This would be the longest she had ever been away from her uncle and while she knew a few of the students that would be going to Hogwarts it still made her anxious.

"Coming Uncle!" She hollered back. With one last deep breath, she grabbed her carrying case for her cat and ran down the stairs. Her trunk and everything she needed was already by the front door, and her uncle stood there with a knowing look.

"Nervous?" He asked her, kneeling to her height. He adjusted her sweater for her, and she nodded. "You're going to do great. Being at Hogwarts was my and your mother's best years." She looked up at him a little surprised. He rarely talked about his sister in front of her. It was painful for him.

"What happens if I don't end up in Gryffindor like you and Mom?" She asked as he stood back up.

"The house of the wizard hardly matters; it's just a place for you to make friends. And having friends outside of your house is okay. Don't let anyone tell you any different." He leaned over and grabbed her trunk from the ground. He held out his arm for her and her small hand rested in the crook of his elbow. Within moments they went from standing by their front door to being in an alleyway outside Kings Cross station. Usually, her uncle would apparate them wherever they needed to be, but today he wanted her to have the full experience of getting to platform nine and three-quarters.

They stood between nine and ten on the platform facing one of the brick pillars that divided the entire platform. They had already watched a few other wizards and their children pass through the wall. She was excited for her turn to run at the wall. She had seen what was on the other side before; they usually apparated. But this time her uncle had decided it was time for her to have the full experience.

"Ready?" Her uncle asked. She looked up and smiled at him, nodding. He returned her smile, and they ran forward at the wall. It was as if the wall wasn't even there. As they had just walked through an open doorway, on the other side the platform was much busier, students walked along the platform loading their trollies and boarding. She looked back up at her uncle beaming like an idiot. This was going to be her first trip away from him, and while she was nervous, the excitement was starting to take over. He chuckled at her and ushered her down the platform where they would part ways.

"Alright, Diana. This is where we say goodbye." Her uncle knelt beside her and looked her in the eyes. He looked exhausted. There were dark circles under his eyes, and she knew that he'd had trouble sleeping on the night of the full moon. Though he took his potion, it still didn't help with the insomnia that ensued. It had been a few days since then, but he was still haggard.

"Promise you'll write to me." She said, tapping her toes together.

"I promise. It'll be over quicker than you think, and you won't want to come home." He told her.

"I'll miss you Moony." She jumped into his arms for one last hug.

"I'll miss you too kiddo." He kissed the side of her head before he pulled away and stood up. She turned around, the handle of her trunk in her hand and she boarded the train. It was easy to find a compartment since she was a little early. A worker had taken her trunk and placed it above her seat, and she sat down with a book to read.

According to her uncle, it was a longer trip to Hogwarts, so she had plenty of time to read. It was a muggle book she had found in a shop the last time she had gone to London with her uncle. She had read it several times over, but it was still her favorite to this day. It was about another world with magic, though not as prominent as hers. They had dragons, dwarves, elves, giant spiders, and gentle folk known as hobbits for which the book was named after. If she had to guess the author had probably been a wizard.