Chapter 3

The following day classes began. She could barely sleep the night before in her excitement and she was the first of the girls to leave the dorm to get breakfast. Like the night before, the tables in the great hall were filled with different foods. Since she was up early, there weren't as many people in the hall as the night before, so she took her time placing different foods on her plate. It wasn't much, some toast, eggs, bacon, and fruit. She was also grateful to have a cup of hot chocolate as well.

The head table was full of all the professors save the headmaster and her eyes caught the two on the end. The teacher in the turban was chattering away with the man beside him, who had an annoyed expression. She could only imagine he wasn't a morning person. She let her eyes drift down the line of teachers. Next to the man with the turban was an older woman in all black with a pointy hat covering her silvery hair. There was a shorter man as well, at a glance, she would have thought him a child but with the fluffy white hair, she had to guess that he was a dwarf. Professor McGonagall sat next to the headmaster's seat, which sat empty. The witch had gone without her hat, showing light brown hair pulled back into a tight bun at the top of her head. On the other side of the headmaster's seat were several old men who looked like they were falling asleep over their breakfast, and she prayed she didn't have a class with them.

"Can I sit here?" A voice brought her from her thoughts, and she looked up to see Selene standing just behind her.

"Of course." Selene took the spot next to her on the bench and smiled. "I wanted to thank you for last night."

"My pleasure. We've got seven years ahead of us being in the dorms with them." Selene said as she began to add things to her plate.

"I'm hoping we can all coexist and not have last night be normal." She said, taking a bite of her toast. The girls had been correct about wanting to hide something.

"Guess we will find out. Which classes are you most excited about?" Selene asked her.

"Honestly, potions and herbology. I want to be a healer." She chirped happily. That had been her mother's job and according to her uncle, she had been an excellent one. "You?"

"I want to be an Auror after we graduate. I think defense against the dark arts is what I look forward to most." Selene said, around a bit of egg and bacon. She chuckled at the girl. Her cheeks were stuffed with food like she hadn't eaten in a long time.

"You an Auror?" a male voice said from behind them. Diana turned to see Draco taking a seat beside her, and she rolled her eyes.

"Don't be a jerk, Draco." She rolled her eyes, gulping her hot chocolate. He glared at her before focusing on grabbing food for himself.

"Do you usually habitually butt into others' conversations?" Selene asked, leaning forward to look at the boy sitting beside her. Draco didn't even glance to the side to acknowledge her presence.

"Who is this, Diana?" He asked her. She glanced to her side, surprised by his question. He was talking to her as if they were friends.

"Are you going to be nice? No point trying to make friends with her if you're going to be rude."

Their conversation ended there as his friends made themselves present in the hall. He quickly scooted further from her and acted like he hadn't acknowledged their existence. She sighed and started a conversation with Selene to ignore the annoyance in her mind. It was clear he thought himself better than anyone else. But she would have to wait and see if that was just his parents talking. Remus had warned her about the families that only believed in pureblood mingling. Draco was a part of one of those families.

Two tables over, she noticed the others she had met on the train, and she decided to say hi. She got up from her spot on the bench with a quick explanation and made her way over to the Gryffindor table. A few people watched her as she went, but she ignored it. Just because she was in her house didn't mean she couldn't mingle with others. Her mother proved that you could be friends with anyone at the school. She wanted to fill the trunk with as many photos of friends as her mother had.