Search (September 13th 1986)

5:23 AM

Can't write much since we're rushing to get ready. Around seven minutes ago, Erick woke both me and Duck up. He told us that we should get going early. I asked him for what exactly, and he said that we should search for supplies. I told him that we weren't in the next apocalypse, but Duck agreed. With that, I couldn't say anything anymore. Two to one, so it was decided. I feel like I'm going to collapse out of exhaustion. I don't usually wake up early, but whatever. Our plan is to head to Tidmouth first, then travel down the line to Crovan's gate. I tried to tell Erick that it would be better to go down the branch lines first, but he wasn't listening. Anyways, we're ready to go so I'll be back when I can write again.

  5:49 AM

  Well damn, this wasn't what I wanted to find in the morning. We traversed down the line until we reached Tidmouth Sheds. Duck noticed something odd about the sheds, so we got closer to take a look. Turns out, someone had jammed the turntable with a bunch of trucks. This time, the trucks were mutated. Fortunately, they didn't seem to be conscious so we just left them. However, something else stood out. I pointed out that only one of the seven doors were closed. Me and Erick slowly got closer, not wanting to alert whatever might be in the shed. Just as I was about to open the door, I heard something inside. I signalled for Erick to grab his pistol just in case, so he did. On the count of 3, we opened the door. I really wish we hadn't. Inside was Emily, but she was horribly mutated. Her eyes were pitch black, and her jaw was dislocated. I felt lightheaded just looking at her. I looked at Erick, and we both nodded in a small agreement to put her down. Erick raised his pistol and aimed it at Emily's forehead. He pulled the trigger just to hear a click. He tried pulling the trigger again, but only heard another click. The damn thing was out of ammunition. We looked over at Duck to see him staring into Emily's eyes... or what was left of them. We quickly closed the shed door to leave Emily in peace. Duck says that he felt guilty for what happened to Emily. We reminded him that we wouldn't have been able to help her even if we could've. It didn't seem to help. Duck has been silent ever since. Hopefully the rest of the day won't be too bad.

  7:18 AM

  It's been delayed for longer than I would like, but we finally have some good news. With some bad news, sadly. We were passing through Wellsworth when Erick pointed out that we could go down Edward's branchline towards Brendam. I agreed since it was a good idea, it had massive stocks of fish so we wouldn't have to worry about food for a bit. When we reached Brendam, we heard what sounded like groaning. We went in close to see Cranky. However, his face was in the water. He seemed to have fallen over (fortunately not towards the rails). We decided to just grab some supplies and go when we heard someone rounding a corner. My hand was hovering over the lever to reverse, but it wasn't needed. Salty the dockyard diesel emerged, with trucks full of fish and water. He had a wooden board that acted as a shield, along with painted war paint on his cheeks. Salty beamed at us as we said hello. Amanda, Salty's driver emerged from his cab to greet us. She explained that they were just finishing up sorting some trucks of fish when the alarms went off. She quickly got Salty to his shed and closed the door. Ever since then, they've been hiding out at the docks. Apparently the cloud was so fierce, it knocked Cranky down. I'm surprised that the sheds were stable enough to keep us safe, or we would've been goners. I can't imagine what life would be like if we were caught in the cloud. Salty told us they were planning to leave, since the docks were starting to run out of supplies. We told them about our plan to head down the line towards Crovan's gate, so they decided to join us. Duck and Salty have been chatting ever since we've left the docks, Duck must've been desperate to talk to someone else. We're just passing Suddery. Hopefully the rest of the journey won't be too long.

3:18 PM

Small change in plans. While passing through Maron, Duck brought up the topic of the ironworks. That gave me an idea. I told the others that we should maybe check out the ironworks. It was the most heavily secured building across the entire island. So we pulled into Cronk Abbey and switched the points to the ironworks. We've been heading down the line for a while now. Duck and Salty are still talking, just not as much. They must be really happy to see another survivor. I'm not gonna write much, since really there's not much to talk about. I'll be back when we reach our destination.

  4:42 PM

We seem to be on a streak of good luck now. We just went over the bridge near Peel Godred's when we noticed a figure in the distance. We went in closer to see Molly. We greeted her and her crew. We were ecstatic to find yet again, another pair of survivors. Her crew, Jackson and Mary explained that they were working at the ironworks when the alarms went off. They quickly sealed themselves into the ironworks before the chemicals got to them. Molly guided us to a shed in the ironworks. To our surprise, Gordon was there. He didn't seem happy to see us, especially Duck. Both Molly and Salty noticed the tension between the 2. Salty said he was gonna go find somewhere to put the fish, so he left. Both Duck and Gordon refuse to talk to each other, so we probably won't be getting anything out of him anytime soon.

 Both Duck and Gordon refuse to talk to each other, so we probably won't be getting anything out of him anytime soon

Gordon's crew, Keith and Ted were happy to talk though. They explained that when the alarms went off, they hid in a shed near Wellsworth. Fortunately they weren't pulling the express, otherwise I doubt they would've survived. I questioned them on why they kept going on the 10th, but Gordon cut in saying it was none of our business. Seeing as Gordon wasn't happy having us around, we just moved over to Molly. Salty returned a few minutes ago, but Gordon won't talk to anyone. Hopefully the tension calms down soon.

  8:19 PM

  Everyone is going to sleep now, so I'm also gonna try sleeping. The tension between Duck and Gordon is still high, but they haven't broke into an argument yet. I count that as a win. With the help of the other 3 engines and 5 crew members, I believe life will be better than how it has been for the last couple of day. Though, I have a bad feeling of us being watched. I think it's just me, however. Maybe the extra company is bugging me or something. I don't know, but I don't think it's something to worry about. I just hope the feeling will go away soon.