twenty

We get to the lobby before dawn. There's something strangely serene about the empty lobby, devoid of all life except for the decorative saplings scattered around the room. The tour group we're hiking with meets outside the hotel, in the valet area. A small group, maybe four or five men and women, stand in a group around who I presume is our tour guide. Most look about or age, with one man looking to be middle aged. Most are couples. We catch up to the group, praying we aren't late. We're usually late to this kind of thing.

"Hi!" says the guide, "I'm guessing you're Mia and Dan Howell?" I blush, but go along with it. Did Dan make it seem like we're married?

"Yep," says Dan, "I hope we're not late.." The guide laughs and shakes his head.

"Nah, you're good. Alright everyone, lets hop in the van!" The group starts loading into a big white van with tinted windows, Dan and I scrambling to get to the back. We do, sitting behind a younger couple who I'm pretty sure are American. They seem friendly enough, but Dan and I keep to ourselves.

"Did you tell them we're married?" I whisper, turning towards Dan.

"No, they just assumed!" he replies, putting his hands up in a shrug. I laugh nervously and look at my phone.

@WatchMiaRun: Forced to get up early by the wonderful @danisnotonfire thanks

Dan chuckles as he reads my tweet and elbows me in the rib. "Jerk," I say, poking his nose. I really hope that the other members of our group aren't watching. They'll either start shipping us or just get really annoyed. Hopefully it's the first rather than the second, but I really don't need anyone else shipping me with anyone.

The van pulls up to a small stone building at the foot of some pretty big hills. We've been driving for almost an hour, and a few hundred meters away the sea sparkles in the sun. It looks like a calendar photo in my grandparents house. 

Everyone gets out and we gather around the building, and the guide starts a little speech.

"Alright, everyone, we're all going to hike up these hills, hit the view spot, maybe go down to the beach, and then come back. Stay on the trail and if there's and emergency, scream and hopefully someone will hear you." There's a chorus of laughter from the group, and we head down to the path. "Also, you need to be back by five." Everyone starts heading out, and I feel pretty confident. The path is pretty easy, not too steep. hopefully it stays that way.

After half and hour we crest the first hill and get a nice view of the ocean. Its blue, shining, just like my Yia Yia always described it. Dan and I are both a little breathless from both the view and walking that whole distance. I'm pretty sure we're the last group. It doesn't matter though, we still get the view. We sit on a bench and catch our breath while taking in the view.

"This is amazing," pants Dan, taking out his phone to take a photo. I lean in for a selfie, and then take a few photos of my own. Everything out here is quiet, it feels like a crime to destroy that silence and talk. We keep walking in silence.

"I'm glad you're feeling better," says Dan, out of the blue. I blush, wondering about my random escapade to the balcony last night. I'm sure that's normal. After a few more steps, I say something, rather than leave the whole thing awkward and uncomfortable.

"I don't know. I guess I'm doing better," I say, watching the gravel path below us. Dan grabs my hand. Not the best position while hiking, but it's nice. We aren't a really touchy couple, since both of us hate being touched, but we hold hands pretty often.

"You're doing so much better, Mia," he says. I smile and laugh a little.

"Thanks, Dan."