~ Jenesis Hammaz

Scene 1, Act 1 ; The Return

In which Jenesis returns to the life that she no longer owns.

Jenesis Hammaz never thought far. Prior to the Hunger Games, she had never thought about the future and what it would look like for her. She had no eyes on boys or girls, so marriage was never a thought that she acknowledged. She never thought about going back to school at any point in her life, because school was only free up until a certain point in district four. She just worked, paid the few bills that killed her earnings, made food, and tried to buy her sister and herself whatever she could with the leftover money by the end of the month. If there was enough.

Jenesis never thought about moving out of the house her parents left for her and her sister—unlike most teenagers in four. Who's plans are to immediately move out of their parents house once they turn 19, and maybe live with their significant other. Now that they were free they wanted to exercise their freedom as much as possible.

But maybe Jenesis's perspective on the people her age was unreliable.

The only goal Jenesis had prior to entering the Hunger Games was to not starve, which was easy considering the abundance of fish and her handy skill with a spear, not get reaped—which didn't work out for her or her sister, and to stay above bills— which was killing her mentally and physically.

So she does indeed wonder how she's laying in this giant bed, in this giant house that she now calls hers, with no worries of bills, food, or getting reaped ever again.

Jenesis blankly stared at the dart board above her bed. Who would've thought that the lanky thing she made years ago would be the key to her survival in the arena? That the repetitive action of dully throwing darts would lead to her knowing how to puncture a human in the heart from yards away. The thought alone was crazy, and it was enough to make Jenesis's head spin that even laying down didn't help her.

The silence of the house hugged Jenesis. Tugging her into a deep hole that she would never be able to climb out of.

Give up, Vincent's raspy voice whispered harshly in her ear.

Jenesis squeezed her eyes shut, willingly complying with his demand. After all, how could she not? She hadn't given up when she was in deaths grasps multiple times in the arena. She had used the Gamemakers own traps and set ups to her benefit in order to avoid death and live one more hour. It had cost Vincent his life, something she just only realized days ago as she thought about the white rose she found in odd parts of her house.

I'll go to the depths of hell, she bitterly thought to herself as she opened her eyes. If you asked me to.

There was nothing she could do to make Vincent ever come back. The only man she had in her life after the death of her father, and the suicide of her mother. He was her dad, though she never said it, after all, he had children of his own, but was it wrong? Was she wrong to see the only person who did her no wrongs in her life as a father figure?

No. But in response, she killed him. Maybe she didn't mean it, but she did. Jenesis killed Vincent because of some last minute decisions she had made while fighting to the death.

Jenesis Hammaz, what a sad story she was.

The sound of the front door opening made Jenesis blink. Jasmine wasn't supposed to be home until dinner time, as she was swimming and diving with Cinthia. Who had offered to take her sister out once she saw the stress on Jenesis's face the moment she stepped out of her room, because she had not slept at all.