16

Still somewhat emotional and shaky from earlier, Winnie now lay beneath her duvet. She took deep breathes in an attempt to sooth her trembles.

T.

She reached for her phone on her nigthstand, unlocking it, and stared at the screen.

She pressed call.

It rang a few times.

Maybe it was too late. It was past midnight. She wasn't usually this late to bed. Her evening had been slow. To delay this moment. Winnie closed her eyes.

It rang a few more times. Until it stopped.

"Winnie?"

Her heart jolted. Her eyes snapped open.

It was him.

"I- I didn't think you would pick up," she rambled, immediatly smacking her forehead in facepalm.

"I didn't think you would call." 

There was an audible smirk in his voice. An alluring, boyish voice.

"I'm really sorry. I was—" she began but he gently cut her off.

"Winnie, it's no bother," he said with soft laughter, and Winnie still couldn't believe it was T.

He'd said her name with such warmth. A warmth she rarely felt anymore when her own mother said her name. Around her mother, such emotions became dampened by sadness and fear. It took her by surprise and she found herself at a loss for words.

"Winnie?"

There it was again. That warmth.

"Yeah?" She replied, barely a whisper.

Winnie felt the echo of her heartbeat climb her neck.

"My name is Timothy."

"T?"

"Yeah, Timothy starts with the letter T," he toyed, this time a wide smile prevalent in his voice.

Winnie whacked her palm against her forehead again, in hope of retrieving some kind of conversational skill.

"Sorry," she chuckled softly. "It's late."

Timothy.

"You need to sleep, that's alright. We—"

"No, no, I—" she took breath and a long pause. "Please stay."

"Okay," he agreed, through another smile.

"Um—how was your day?" Winnie asked, rather stumped on what else to say.

"My day? It was... busy." He didn't seem satisfied with the word. "In a good way."

Before Winnie could respond, he spoke again.

"How are you?" he asked, and not in that trivial, day-to-day way. She recognised that it presented an opportunity for her to open up, as she had done over text.

It had not been the best day. But Winnie was afraid the warmth would slip away if she clouded the conversation with her lurking sadness. But she didn't want to lie either.

"Earlier... it was difficult. But I'm okay. I was looking forward to this," she admitted confidently.

"Looking forward to this so much that you waited until 12:38 to call me?" he toyed.

She grinned so naturally.

"Stoppp," she laughed.

Winnie realised that she liked when he spoke to her in that way.

"I was just... nervous," she explained, still smiling. It was true, though not the main reason for her delay.

"Me too," Timothy said after a moment. It relieved Winnie that she wasn't the only one.

Then it dawned on her, that for once, she didn't feel entirely alone.