19

As she neared her work, Winnie's phone buzzed in her hand.

T:
You'll have to call me again tonight :p

Winnie hid her smile as she slid her phone into her bag and pushed through the heavy door to the office space.

She had barely sat down when she felt her boss heading toward her. She pretended as if she hadn't noticed him approaching and busied herself in organising the things on her screen.

"Winnie, hi," Jayson said from behind her. "How are you this morning?"

She swivelled round. "Uh good. Yourself?"

"Yeah, now I was just wondering if you had thought about it yet," he said hesitantly.

"About what?" she questioned, but the answer came to her as she asked it. "Oh, dinner."

"Yeah. But it's—"

"I'm not free after work. Any day," Winnie said awkwardly, possibly coming across as brash without the intention of.

Jayson nodded. "That's fine, uh we could get lunch. Today."

The suggestion caught Winnie off-guard and her hesitation was not buying her a way out.

"Um, okay," she nodded.

"Okay," he smiled, squeezed her shoulder and walked away. Tense, she turned back towards her desk.

Time began passing quickly, much to Winnie's dismay. It almost always went slowly, but today was unfortunately not one of those days.

As it neared midday, Winnie started hoping Jayson would forget. However, he wasn't know to be absentminded.

Sure enough, he appeared at Winnie's desk at a quarter to one.

"Ready to go?"

Winnie nodded as she stood from her chair.