Prologue

I met a traveler…

I met a traveler from a distant land. His cold eyes and harsh demeanor told many stories of betrayal, victory, defeat - stories that perhaps would forever stay untold, forever stay just that - a remnant in his icy gaze. I knew these stories would forever haunt my nights the same as my days, they would remind me of the truth that the world had to offer: that it was a terrifying place, a place where no one was safe, no matter how hard they tried. 

I met a traveler whose skin knew nothing more than the warm blood of his enemies and allies alike, and the cold hilt of a blade tucked deep between his fingers. His hands knew nothing but violence, yet his heart craved for more than that - a safe place, a home, a place where he would be able to take a breath without worrying about neither foe nor friend that could find any reason to pierce him with an arrow drenched in poison.

I met a traveler who came from a far land no one knew about; who chose to take his upbringing to his grave and never speak of it; who, unlike others, was granted but one life, one chance to live to his fullest. Some called it his weakness, some deemed it his strength, but he knew only he could make that distinction and no one else. He had gone through wars and battles, meeting so many people that he could no longer remember any of them. At the end of the day it didn't matter, because they all met the same fate.

I met a traveler who was called a God amongst men, who paid for the bloodshed with sleepless nights and dreams haunted by the voices, whispering in his ears, never stopping, never resting. Voices that no one else could understand, no one could hear, except for the traveler. 

I met a traveler…