Chapter Twenty Six

When I hear Sitara's footsteps walking away from me, my first instinct is to run after her

The frustration of not being able to chase her down hits me like a punch in the gut. For starters, I don't know what direction she went in. I know she's traveling away from me based on the decreasing volume of her footsteps on the pavement, but that's all I can tell. After that, I'm lost.

Additionally, I can't run. Maybe I could on a track where I know for certain there are no obstacles in my way, but I think even that would be disconcerting.

The idea of moving fast into virtual blackness is not appealing. And here, behind the library, next to a dumpster, it would be dangerous. Even walking quickly is out of the question.

I squeeze my eyes shut, taking a deep breath to try to calm myself down. I can't believe this happened. Here I was, about to have the best night of my life in a year, and now it's over, just like that.

Why did Dev have to make those dumb joke at the cafe? What the hell is wrong with him? I only said what I said because... well, he was ragging on me and what was I supposed to say? It was a fucking joke . If I knew Sitara was disfigured and she was standing a few feet away from me, I would have obviously put more thought into my answer.

It wouldn't be a date anymore though, would it?

Her question took me by surprise. I had started the evening by thinking I was going on a date with a pretty librarian. Then I found out that person didn't actually exist—it was all a lie Sitara made up just because she could. Because what the hell do I know—I'm blind. It hurts every time I think about it.

But at the same time, I get why she didn't tell me. Of course I do. I'm not an idiot.

So when Sitara asked me that, if I still wanted to go out with her, I wasn't sure about my answer.

Urmila's words were still ringing in my ears. There's just a hole where her mouth is. The thought of kissing a mouth hole... well, I can't say it filled me with instant lust. It wasn't a pretty picture in my head. 

But at the same time, I can't just shake off all those feelings I've built up for this girl. My head is a mess. The anger, the hurt, the pain of losing what I'd built her up to be. It's too much.

My hands are shaking and I have a deep ache in my chest. I need to get home. I'd expected Sitara would be my ride for the rest of the night, but that's out of the question. I could take the bus like I usually do, but the thought of finding the bus stop, waiting, then dealing with the driver helping me to a seat and people trying to make patronizing conversation with me—no, fuck that. I don't want to call a cab either and have to explain my situation to them and what they'll have to do. It's exhausting. I just want to go home. Now.

Finally, I pull my phone out of my bag and call my mother.

"Yash?" She sounds understandably surprised to hear from me.