Collateral damage - Part 7

"Query: Does Amander have to pace like that?"

Amander couldn't really do anything to help Spot and Fluur, as shooting things in the face real good doesn't help with medical procedures. In addition, letting an untrained Terran loose in a facility filled with sensitive medical equipment and dangerous chemicals was a quick way to blow up a moon. This left Amander with the only real option to nervously pace around the small break room

"Well you're the one who said I had to stay 'ere."

Amander didn't like waiting. There was always something to do or some task that needed completing, even if it was as simple as maintenance. This meant that right now, she had no idea what to do with herself.

"Responding query: I said that having the Terran roaming freely around sensitive materials would not have positive outcomes. I did not intend for that to mean you must remain in the same 1ft area."

Steve was obviously also in the break room, hovering as always, keeping an eye on the Terran to make sure they didn't set fire to something. Or cover it in cheese. Or set fire to something while covering it in cheese. Next to the Scythen and slumped in a chair was the last unaccounted for member of the research team, Baithe. The Hatil had mostly followed the others out of a curiosity about the Terran.

Amander gave a sigh, flopping down onto a seat and tapping her fingers on a table, before pulling a GalNet connector out of her pocket and staring at it for a moment.

"How the hell has it only been twenty minutes!" Amander exclaimed loudly, clearly frustrated.

"So how do you and Spot know each other? From the sounds of it you both go way back."

Baithe asked this with a smile, half with actual curiosity, half so that Amander would be distracted enough to stop fidgeting while waiting for Fluur's treatment to finish. It seemed to partially work, as the Terran returned the smile as she responded.

"You could say that. Originally got 'im from a neighbour whose dog had just had a litter of puppies. Cute as a button and super smart, even before the upliftin'. Been my best friend ever since."

The distraction seemingly worked as Amander gave a nostalgic smile on remembering Spot as a puppy.

"Didn't originally plan on getting it done, but then the military started payin for regenerations and uplifts. Just had to stick around for four years, and then figured I'd give Spot the ability to think and I'd get to live forever."

Amander gave a small chuckle at that joke. Just 4 years. 200 years later, with a few gaps here or there, she had been doing the same job. Still she'd been competent at it, enjoyed it, and overall it had been worth it. At least until it turned out that you couldn't trust other Terrans.

"Wait, you were part of the military? That's so cool!" The curiosity flowed out of Baithe, getting more animated and enthusiastic as she spoke. "Is that how you managed to kill the Raha prince? The Zorthian mentioned some of it, one Terran army, like some kind of action movie!"

"Exasperated statement: Baithe, that is not polite to discuss! Our apologies to Amander."

Steve was flashing the purple and black hue of annoyance, causing the Hatil opposite them to deflate a little.

"Sorry..."

"Don't you worry bout it, water under a bridge." The Terran waved off the apology before getting back up and making her way over to the break room's replicator. "Though if this is what we're blabbering about then I reckon this ain't a sober conversation."

Amander pressed a few inputs on the machine, before frowning and pressing a few more, ending with a flat out scowl and giving the machine a hefty thump.