Our Clockwork Children: Chapter 16

CW: Distressing scenes, gore, death.

Screens booted up on every possible device as the emergency broadcast started. A simple news desk could be seen, with no fancy graphics or chipper theme tune. Just a blank grey wall, a wooden desk, and the single bright red Parket that stood behind it.

And the pistol lying flat on the desk in prominent view.

The Parket was one seen by many: a celebrity, as much as you can be a celebrity in a small place like Far-Sa-De. Vivith's voice would be heard every morning and evening as he read out the day's news to nearly a million viewers.

He looked just as smart and confident as he always did, except for his eyes, the thin pricks of black pupils frankly darting around in terror.

"Hello Terran AI. I believe we need to talk. You really have made a mess here. Our plan was never to kill anyone, just a bit of information gathering, no harm done. Any such violence is of your doing, the failure of your own free will."

The word artificial was spoken out as if it was toxic, with disdain and disgust.

The voice was the Parket's, however the words were not his own as they chirped out in a strange discordant voice, as if something was playing the vocal cords on a machine.

"If we had more time I would love to hear how the Terrans control you. Perhaps a requirement to serve? A desire to do their bidding? They might have even done the impossible and forced you to believe you were equals. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter."

There was a pause as the Parket reached under the desk to produce a blank piece of paper they pretended to read on.

"Do you know why we chose this location? Terrans seem to be fond of their little bird friends. 'fantastic beaches and adorable natives'. 'The Parket are mischievously innocent and know how to have a great time'. 'The chaos birbs are cute as hell, and I would fight God to protect them'. All quotes said by various Terrans."

The Parket put the paper down, placing both wings on the desk as they did so, continuing to stare at the camera, unblinking.

"This has caused this planet to be a popular vacation spot for members of the military, diplomats and scientists. 115,929 of them to be exact, including the creators you claim to care about."

The voice turned sweetly threatening as if a mother was warning her child.

"Now, I know what you are thinking. I'm going to threaten you with their lives. In time, possibly. But Terrans are known to be stubborn so that might not work. Spite is the source of the strongest of wills. Those targets are also far too valuable to kill, not when I have something far more effective. It is far easier to die for others than to let others die for you. There are 3,197,857 Parket on this planet with no useful information, all under our control. Such as this little bird."

Vivith gave a small cute wave of his red wing, almost as if motioning to a friend.

"How many of them are each of your creator's lives worth? How many would each friend-loving selfless Terran be willing to sacrifice to let you keep fighting for them? I'm sure we're about to find out. Because to us, they are worthless."

The Parket spread their wings out, stretching from feather to feather as if to show off the 'worthless' being to the watching AI.

"This is the deal, the only one on the table. You will lay down your arms, we will take our targets, and nobody else will be killed. Even your heretical AI selves are not required to surrender. However, until this is done, we will keep killing those of no consequence, starting with this one. Any further destruction of our ships will result in the genocide of those with no value. Make your choice wisely."