White Beaches

After a few weeks, the time came for Mackenzie's surgery. He hated all the pity, as he was never fond of the spotlight. After it was done, Mackenzie felt a bit of relief, but the pain was still intolerable. In an attempt to make him feel better, his mum announced that they would be making another trip back to New Zealand during the upcoming break, and that he could invite one friend. How convenient.

Mackenzie's Mum: "Ask someone at school tomorrow if they want to come with us. Maybe Lucky will want to go"

Mackenzie: "Ok mum, I'll invite someone"

It didn't take him but five seconds to think of who to invite. However, inviting her would increase the risk of their hidden relationship being revealed to everyone. But he decided it was worth the risk, and that eventually people would find out anyway.

The next day

Bluey: "Hey Mackenzie, how are you doing?"

Mackenzie: "Better but still hurting, but don't worry about me. Anyways, I wanted to ask you something"

Bluey: "Oh sure, I'm all ears"

Mackenzie: "With the break coming up, I was wondering if you wanted to come with me to New Zealand for the week."

Bluey: "Oh, I'd love that. It'll be way better than just sitting around at home"

Mackenzie: "Then it's settled, I'll take you home after school on Friday"

Bluey: "Great! Thank you Kenzie"

Mackenzie: "No problem"

And so, neither of the two could wait for Friday, as it was planned to be a perfect vacation, on the luscious white beaches. Mackenzie was always excited to go back to New Zealand annually, but this time was different, as he finally wouldn't be...lonely. It was easy to feel that way being an only child, but with Bluey around, everything was going to change for the better.

Friday

Mackenzie waited in his car for Bluey, putting his crutches in the back. He hated them, but at least it helped alleviate the pain just a bit. He sat for a few minutes until a certain smiling heeler stood at the passenger door.

Mackenzie: "Heya"

Bluey: "Hi Mackenzie, can we swing by my house real quick?"

Mackenzie: "Ok, that's fine, why?"

Bluey: "Because I need to get my stuff, you goof"

Mackenzie: "Oh, right..."

Mackenzie, feeling dumb, played it off as a joke.

Bluey: "Anyways, you probably need to stay in the car, you know how my dad can be"

Mackenzie points at the brace on his knee.

Mackenzie: "Well, I wasn't really planning on going anywhere"

Bluey: "Thanks for inviting me Kenzie, it really means alot to me"

Mackenzie: "Well, who else I was supposed to invite? I mean, you're basically my best friend..."

Bluey: "Really, I thought Lucky was?"

Mackenzie: "Well that's different, he's always been more like a brother to me than anything. Anyways, let's not get too sappy, what do you wanna do at the beach?"

Bluey: "Well there's so many things to do, but I definitely want to read my book"

Mackenzie: "Booooooring"

Bluey: "C'mon Kenzie, reading isn't that bad"

Mackenzie: "No, it's boring"

Bluey: "You just have to find books that interest you"