Chapter 32

I was dragging ass the next morning despite Xavier waking me for training and towing me to the training field, my hand firmly grasped in his as I trailed a step behind. We warmed up together in the ten minutes it took for everyone else to arrive.

Since Jenna and Raven were no longer joining us he had me pair off with Cameron, telling him to help me with my stance and technique.

Focusing on me and my ineptitude seemed to be a good thing for Cam. He was able to ignore James for the most part, and even smiled a couple of times.

Then we broke off to prepare for the day before school.

At school I handed in my work and sat through two tests, one I'd missed while I was gone, so I had to sit in the hall outside the classroom with the teacher standing at the door keeping an eye on me as he lectured the rest of the class.

At lunch Xavier shared a look with me before announcing he wanted everyone at our table to meet at his house after school.

Jordan said, "Sounds important."

"It is, so I need you there."

"I have practice today," James and Hail said at the same time.

"I'll get you out of it," Xavier said.

The glum looks on Gabriel and Cameron's faces tore at my heart. And Hail looked so sad as she stared at Gabriel.

Xavier tucked a curl behind my ear and whispered, "We have the information that will help them. We all have to wait, but it will be over soon. Try to eat."

I gave him a small smile and nodded.

****

In the car driving home, Xavier asked me if I was doing okay. I answered I was, but he wasn't buying it.

"You've seemed really draggy and down all day, love."

"I feel like I'm being selfish because I'm not ready to accept you." I quickly wiped a stray tear from my cheek, and blinked to stem the flow of moisture bubbling from my eyes.

"Ash, us claiming each other on a full moon won't change anything for our friends if our hearts aren't fully on board." He parked the car in front of his house and turned to me, "Little mate, I'm not ready to claim you, either. I just lost what I believed was the love of my life. I need time, too."

I looked up into his angelic face, and seeing the earnestness in his eyes I tackled him in an embrace. We held each other until the tension drained and we could each breathe easier, then went into the house as everyone else was pulling into the driveway.

Once everyone was inside and had a beverage, Xavier and I led them into the living room.

Xavier had me sit in one of the chairs and he stood beside me. The others arranged themselves on the couch and loveseat.

"Thank you all for coming. I know I didn't give you a choice, but that's beside the point. I'm glad you're here," he squeezed my shoulder, "we are glad you're here."

I wrapped my hand around his fingers that were still clutching my shoulder and looked up at him with what I hoped was an encouraging smile. He gave me a slight nod and continued.

"As our closest friends you've been witness to me disrespecting my mate bond with Ash, and behaving cruelly to her. I have a lot of making up to do on that end, but that's between Ash and myself."

Hail held up her hand and waved it.

"Later Hail. Let me get this out. What led me to asking you all here today is it's recently come to my attention that my mistreatment of my mate bond had a further reaching effect than I ever could have imagined.