Chapter 35

The lights were never turned off.

Without blankets or pillows there was no escape from the harsh light.

The cameras in the corners made using the bucket extremely unnerving, and more than a little embarrassing. 

But there was no choice. 

At least it was only my bladder. I didn't want to think about emptying my bowels. And with no soap or water. Ew.

In the eerie silence I could hear my own heartbeat. I had no idea what time it was or how long I'd been awake. All I knew was I was exhausted, scared, and really missing Xavier.

And my mom. And Gabriel. And everyone else. 

But I was really missing Xavier. 

I knew he was doing everything in his ability to find me. He had to be. After all the times he'd come to my rescue, even when he thought he was going to mark Jenna. I had no doubt he was looking for me and that he would find me.

Alice had tried to communicate with me several times until I made circles with my fingers and held them up to my eyes. She seemed to realize I couldn't make out anything because I couldn't see.

There was a strange whooshing noise and suddenly I was waking up and smelled food. I scrambled to sit up and saw there was a tray of food on the floor. Looking around I saw that Alice and I were the only ones awake, though she'd obviously roused a bit of time ahead of me. All the other girls and women were still asleep.

Alice was sniffing around the panel that would be her door, so I did the same. Even without my wolf I should still be able to pick up on a scent.

Human. What did humans want with us?

I sniffed at the porridge that was on the tray. There didn't seem to anything added to it. No wolfsbane or silver, but no butter or flavorings, either. Plain porridge. I picked up the bowl and noticed a moist towelette packet. I opened that first and scrubbed my hands. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Alice doing the same.

Alice and I looked at each other and tested a bite of the porridge at the same time, then sat back from it to wait a few minutes.

Nothing happened, except the other girls began to wake up and dove straight for their own bowls and began shoveling the porridge into their mouths. It was like they hadn't eaten for days.

I was still eating when I heard the whooshing noise again. The tray and bowl were gone when I roused myself from the floor where I'd just been eating. Again Alice and I woke first. Again a faint scent of human lingered at the door of my cell.

Strange.

I hope Xavier finds me soon.

*****

3rd person pov

Xavier abruptly slammed his fists on the metal conference table as he stood, sending his chair skidding backward. Glaring at the commissioner and mayor he growled, "You said we didn't need to involve ourselves! You said you had it under control!" Barely able to control his beast he took a step forward, snarling, "And now they have my mate!" He shrugged his beta's hand off his arm, tossing a glaring at Jordan before regaining his seat. He put his elbows on the now dented table and rested his forehead on his hands, pressing his fingers to his scalp.

The two Alphas Beta Jordan had contacted the night before had returned his calls just an hour before sunrise. Half an hour later everyone converged in the precinct's conference room for an  impromptu meeting between the leaders and law enforcement of local humans and shifters. They'd chosen to meet in the human town as the nearest neutral territory between the shifter territories.