Chapter 33

The rest of the week passed relatively smoothly.

Xavier kept me with Cameron at training. He said doing so was also improving Cameron's technique.

School was okay. I got my test scores on Wednesday and with an A minus and a B. I was pretty proud of myself.

That was also the day Xavier's new mattress arrived. After he'd settled his new mattress in his room he came into my room, saying, "Come on, let's move your stuff."

He opened my closet and grabbed my suitcases.

Confused, I looked up from the homework I was doing and asked, "Wait, what?"

He drew a heavy sigh and turned to look at me as he set my suitcases on my bed.

"My new mattress arrived today."

"Yeah..."

I knew he'd said he'd gotten used to sleeping with me, and he has been sharing my bed since we arrived home, but I didn't think that meant we'd continue to sleep in the same room after his new mattress arrived.

"I sleep better when you're beside me. I want you in my room and in my bed."

So many emotions coursed through me I could hardly breathe for the weight. Staring at him I whispered, "Were you going to ask me what I want?"

His eyes widened and he paled. "I thought..." His face contorted in pain, he shook his head and strode toward the door.

I jumped out of my chair and ran to him, grabbing his wrist. "Hey! Xavier! Stop. Talk with me. That's all I'm asking."

He stopped, his eyes closed. I could feel him trembling under my touch.

"Please, let's have a conversation about this."

I watched as he opened his eyes. His brow furrowed as his gaze caught on something on my wall. He lifted his hand to grab the sticky note that was still stuck to the wall beside the door.

He wriggled his wrist out of my grasp and put his arms around me pulling me to his chest. "You're right. We do still have so much to talk about," He mumbled as he pressed his lips to my head. "Ash, will you please move to my room?"

I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist. "So long as we do talk, then yes we can move my things to your room." I raised my face to look up at him, saying, "I've gotten used to you, too."

He nodded and squeezed me closer before we went to sit, me on the chair and him on the end of the bed. An awkward silence spread between us as we stared at each other before we both looked away.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I've been looking forward to moving back to my room and I didn't think to ask you how you felt about moving..."

"You're the alpha. You're used to getting what you want when you want it, and you're not used to anyone questioning you," I said, stretching my leg out to tap his knee with my toe.

"Yeah." He caught my ankle and gently pulled so the chair I was sitting on rolled toward him and settled my foot in his lap and began to absently stroke the top of my arch and ankle. "But you question me."

"And it annoys you." The tingles dancing along my skin were very relaxing. I wondered if it was relaxing for him, too.

"It does," he agreed. "I'm not used to being challenged." He sighed, "But obviously, it's what I need." He patted my foot.

My brows rose. "How so?"

"You wouldn't be my mate if I didn't need a challenge."

I blinked at him, not quite understanding.