Chapter Five: Turf Wars

Blyke and I sat quietly in his dorm room as I examined the past test paper in front of me, trying to find a solution to the first question. After our brief dispute in the infirmary, we had engaged in some small talk, during which I told him about my mediocre grades. Surprisingly, Blyke offered to tutor me in all of the subjects that I weren't particularly adept in, so here we were. 

     "Ugh, I'm already stuck on the first question," I complained. "Some help, please?"

     Blyke slid my paper to the opposite end of the table where he was sitting, skimmed the question, and handed it back to me with a dumbfounded expression on his face. "Dude, what? This is literally basic substitution." 

     I threw my hands up in frustration. "Then by all means, show me how it's done, genius." In response, Blyke sighed and shifted to my end of the table, taking out a pen. 

     "Okay. So, the first question is asking you to find the kinetic energy of a photoelectron when the frequency of the incident radiation is 4.28 * 10^14 Hertz, and the work function is 7.77 * 10^-19 Joules," he explained, highlighting all of the relevant information via pen. "Obviously, we use Ek = hf - Φ, because we are given values for both frequency and phi."

     I raised an eyebrow, somewhat confused. "What about the h? Isn't it impossible to solve an equation when you have two unknowns?"

     "Yes, but you do know it. It's Planck's constant—6.63 * 10^-34, to be precise. Because it's a universal constant, you can use this value for all problems," Blyke clarified. "So anyways, now that you have established all three variables, you can just plug the equation into a calculator and—"

     Without warning, the door to Blyke's dorm swung open, and we looked up to see a distinguished-looking, blonde-haired student standing in the doorway. He was a person of tall stature, standing at roughly 6'3 with piercing blue irises and an incredibly cold expression that seemed to scrutinise my every move. The student suspiciously eyed me with a supercilious air, and judging from his aristocratic demeanour, I could tell that he was a person of authority within our school. 

     "Oh hey, what's up Arlo?" the red-head beside me greeted coolly. 

     "Blyke," Arlo nodded in response.

     So this was the mighty King of Wellston. He was definitely quite the character. I've somehow already befriended two Royals as a cripple, but I suspected that getting on Arlo's good side would be much harder. 

     "I was just dropping by to let you know that Agwin High has challenged us to another Turf War. Apparently, they have some new additions to their roster that they want to show off," Arlo explained. "Obviously, I expect you to attend this event, as Jack."

     "Gotcha, Arlo," Blyke said, shooting him a thumbs-up. "Do you know when—"

     "Tomorrow. We'll meet up at the train station after school, like usual. Don't be late." I frowned, making sure my expression was subtle enough so that the King didn't notice. Don't cut people off, jerk, I silently criticised the blonde king. 

     "Oh, and one last thing. I'd like a quick word with you. Outside, if possible." Arlo briefly glanced at me, as if to say a cripple like you shouldn't get involved in Royal's affairs before averting his eyes back to the person beside me. Blyke, knowing he didn't have a choice in the matter, followed Arlo outside and shut the door behind him. 

     I sighed, turning back to the physics question that Blyke was trying to explain to me before the King interrupted us. After a few minutes, I managed to formulate a somewhat plausible-looking answer and patiently waited for my friend to return so that he could check my working. 

     A while later, Blyke opened the door and came in, with Arlo nowhere to be seen. "Ah, Blyke! Come take a look at—"

     I trailed off, noticing the dejected expression on his face. Huh? He was so full of energy earlier. Now he just looks... disappointed. Saddened, almost.

      I gritted my teeth in anger. What the hell did Arlo say to him?

      "Blyke, you good? Did Arlo do something bad to—"

      "John." He held up a hand, stopping me. "Just... don't. I appreciate your concerns, but I don't really want to think about it right now. Besides," he held out his hand expectantly. "Show me your working. You aren't going anywhere until you have a basic grasp of the photoelectric effect."

     I smiled, the saltiness from Arlo's unpleasant drop-in melting away. "Alright fine, but go easy on me, 'kay?" 

. . .

Tomorrow, 17:02

     The Turf War grounds were comprised of a droughty, desolate plain which much resembled a desert. While the scenery may have seemed inadequate for the holding of such a prominent combat tournament, the locality of it was perfect. Here, amidst the empty, dusty terrain, students could let loose with the most powerful and destructive abilities, all the while avoiding any serious collateral damage. 

      Roughly thirty metres away stood the opposing Royal team of Agwin High School. They were lined up in a group of four, and Arlo stepped forward to meet the enemy King.

     "Nice to see you again, Broven," he condescended, smirking. 

     "Heh. Likewise, Asslo. Although, you should be greeting the guy over there, not me." Broven said, gesturing towards the tall, brown-haired student to his left. "I was dethroned to Jack earlier this week."

     This appeared to pique Arlo's interest as he turned to face the new King of Agwin. They had a brief stare down before the latter spoke vehemently.

     "You may be a powerhouse of a school, but just know that your untouched win streak is at risk today, Wellston," he warned, prompting a scoff from Arlo. "Now, how should we play? One-on-one, or three-on-three?"

     "One-on-one. It appears that you have a new Queen as well, and I'm curious to see her in action against Remi," Arlo said, shooting a disparaging glance towards the violet-haired girl to his right. She scowled in return, taking a step towards him before the unnamed King stopped her with his arm. 

     "The name's Vincent, by the way, and the feisty one here is Luna," Vincent introduced himself to Arlo while gesturing to his Queen, who seemed to have a bit of a temper. "Now, let's get this show on the road!"

     In a one-versus-one Turf War tournament, the Jacks—being the least powerful Royals—usually fight first, so I lined up, facing Broven. 

     "The Turf War between Agwin and Wellston will now commence. Jacks, please take your positions!" Elaine refereed. 

     My ability flared up and Broven's did the same, his eyes glowing a bright shade of eucalyptus. This was going to be interesting. 

     "FIGHT!"