Chapter 2

Moon shivered. What was that?

A vision. Eclipse answered. 

Moon glanced at her, worry in her eyes. Oh, dear. 

Moon had had visions before. One of them even saved them from a falling tree once. But they had agreed not to tell their mother about her visions. Moon thought she might not be able to handle another 'curse'. 

"Wow. A real queen," Secretkeeper said. "I've never seen one before."

"You see Queen Glory all the time," Moon pointed out, still a bit hazy from her vision. 

"Queen Glory is barley older than you are," their mother answered. "I mean a real queen, someone who's ruled her tribe for years and years."

"Queen Glory is a real queen." Eclipse bristled, glaring at her mother. "Most definitely better than any SeaWing queen could ever be." 

Many of the NightWings harbored bitter thoughts about having a RainWing for their queen now, but she didn't think her mother was one of the grumblers. Eclipse and Moon had met Queen Glory soon after being introduced to the tribe. Eclipse hung around Her Majesty quite a lot actually, and she seemed to favor the NightWing dragonet. 

"All right," her mother sighed. "That's enough hiding in the shadows and 'observing'. Time for you two to go find your caves."

Already? Moon's mind jolted with terror, raising Eclipse's pulse as well. "Alone? Aren't you coming inside?"

"This will be good for you," her mother said. I hope. Remember, Secretkeeper: Be strong. Just turn and fly away. They'll be safe here. "I love you both, and I will see you soon."

Secretkeeper took a step back, averting her face and the siblings caught a thought track their mother had been carefully burying. Oh, I hope this is the right thing. What am I doing? How do I know if this will be good for them? 

Eclipse felt a surge of hope from Moon. She doesn't want to leave me!

Secretkeeper hugged Moon quickly then turned to Eclipse. Her mother leaned in and pressed her snout against hers. "Protect your sister. And yourself. Try not to get in trouble. I love you." She quickly pulled away. 

"Wait," Moon tried desperately. "What if I came next year instead? What if -"

"Trust me moonbud," Secretkeeper said, cupping Moon's snout with her front talons. "You will love it here. Just keep your curse hidden and you'll be fine. Act normal, no matter what happens. And write to me soon! Good-bye!" 

A moment later, Secretkeeper was quickly winging away through the threadbare clouds, leaving her dragonets once again. 

Abandoning dragonets is a talent of hers, huh? Eclipse mused. Moon met her eyes.

Don't be cruel.

Eclipse huffed, inching closer to her sister and twining their tails. Moon visibly relaxed and was decidedly not crying. They stayed under the tree for a moment more watching students arrive. 

Once there was a quiet moment on the landing ledge, Moon shook out her wings and darted forward into the yawning mouth of the entrance cave, Eclipse following after her at a calmer pace. 

"Hello!" a voice echoed loudly through the cave while Eclipse's eyes were still adjusting to the dimmer light inside. "Welcome to the Great Hall of Jade Mountain! Let me guess- you're Eclipse and Moonwatcher, aren't you? I'm tremendously good at guessing. In fact, one might even say I'm mysteriously good at it." The welcoming dragon who's scales were midnight black lowered her voice. "Almost as though I'm reading your mind, eh?"