Chapter 6

To say Starflight's class was exhausting would be an understatement. The amount of sheer knowledge about everything that dragon has swirling in his head would make a century old dragon collapse. 

After each dragonet answered his question, he would go into a lengthy rant about why that tribes feeding habits was different than the rest of the tribes. 

Eclipse could keep up with most things. She wasn't a dumb dragon. But whatever Starflight had going on made her head ache and her wings droop. 

Right now, Eclipse was sitting in the prey center, chewing on a boar quietly and trying not to pass out.  

Why has no one taken care of you? the voice spoke suddenly. Eclipse jumped. Even if the skills are lost, there must be scrolls about coping techniques. 

Even if they do still exists I'm sure they're either lost or were burned on the island. Eclipse thought. I've read every scroll the NightWings brought with them into the rainforest and none of them speak of anything like mindreading or foresight. Let alone how to cope with them. It's not a popular power to have now anyway.    

You don't need to be popular if you're powerful. The voice chuckled, then stilled for a moment. Although perhaps a little more popularity would have been helpful in my situation. In any case, listen and I can help. 

Go on. 

Imagine the sound of ocean waves. 

I haven't been anywhere but the rainforest. 

Three moons. Fine then, some other soothing noise. 

Rain? 

Yes. Exactly. Fill your head with rain. 

Eclipse thought of all the nights she spent, alone with her sister, listening to the rain patter on the leaves all around them. Watching the raindrops slowly drip from the ends of the curled fronds onto her tail. Wishing her mother cared enough to be a mother. 

You tragic little dragon. 

I am not tragic. Or little. Eclipse shot back. 

He chuckled. Now hold on to that falling rain sound, and then imagine that you're taking each voice you hear and slipping it inside one of the raindrops. Do that and after a minute all their insignificant mental howling will be drowned in the downpour. 

Eclipse concentrated hard, opening herself to the cave and imagining tucking all the voices in her head into raindrops has they fell in her mind. Soon enough the only voices she could hear were real ones around her. Eclipse felt suddenly empty and she loved it. 

She breathed out of her nose. Thank you. 

You should've been able to do that soon after you hatched. 

Well, times are different. It's been a long time since The Scorching. Eclipse took another bite of her boar, glancing around the cave. She met eyes with a SeaWing and his thoughts suddenly bombarded her mind. 

NightWing. That tribe has some issues. 

It is more difficult when the thoughts are specifically about you, the voice said. And easier when there are many voices at once. This trick works best in a crowded room, not so well in a two-dragon conversation. Also it takes practice.