Chapter 18

Eclipse had no time to react before Darkstalker was there in her mind, louder and fiercer than he'd ever been before.

Do not tell anyone about this. You understand? A stone from the sky that can block mind reader's powers? If other dragons find out, we'll be ruined. Everyone will get one, and then we'll be deaf, Eclipse, Moon, do you understand? If this gets out, it'll be like ripping our claws off. Promise me you won't tell anyone.

We wouldn't be deaf, Moon thought back. We'd be no worse off than all the normal dragons out there. 

I don't know about you, Moon, Eclipse started. But I don't wanna be a normal dragon. 

If you could give up this gift so easily, then you shouldn't be allowed to have it.

Eclipse was flustered by his intensity. 

Shush for a minute, will you? Moon said, equally as ruffled as she was. This is my one chance to hear what Onyx is thinking. 

Darkstalker subsided, muttering. Ostrich was still holding the amulet, all her thoughts fuzzed out as she gently poked the rock inside. If they wanted to find out whether Onyx had set the bomb, they had to make her think about it right now.

Of course, Qibli had no way of knowing that. He was busy contemplating Onyx's dragonethood with her mother and trying to figure out why she was here. He didn't even look up when Moon subtly tried to catch his attention. 

"Um," Moon blurted. "What do - who do - have you, uh -"

The SandWings all swiveled their heads to stare at them. 

What is she trying to say?

Weird crazy NightWing.

I heard she can barely form sentences; guess that's true. 

Moon's tail tightened around Eclipse's and Eclipse spoke to her inside her head: It's ok, you can do it. 

"How's Tamarin?" she managed. "Have - have you been able to see her?"

"Oh, my poor little clawmate," Onyx said with a sigh. At the same time, her mind went: I don't see why I have to care about dragons from other tribes, but it seems to be expected, for some reason. At least Tamarin was a quiet, agreeable dragon to share a cave with; she didn't snore like Mother or tell weepy stories and expect me to care - like Mother. Uch, I hope they don't give me another clawmate. Perhaps if I act totally shattered, they'll let me keep the cave all to myself. "It's absolutely devastating," she said. "I'm just devastated."

She reached to take the amulet from Ostrich. But I haven't heard anything useful yet! Moon's mind shouted. 

"Um," her sister said quickly. "Can I see it?"

Onyx looked as if she wanted to say no, but Ostrich was already passing the amulet into Moon's talons. 

"D-do you, um. . ." Moon froze. Her thoughts drifting into that silent fuzz while Ostrich's internal voice bounced in Eclipse's head once again. 

Eclipse cleared her throat. "It's just terrible what happened to Tamarin. And Bigtail and Carnelian. Only day four and two of us are already dead." She was looking at Onyx and the SandWing was giving her a hard stare. Are you accusing me of something NightWing?

The SandWing minds around her bristled, circling back to if it was safe here or not. 

Eclipse? What's happening?! Darkstalker questioned, panic in his voice. 

What are you talking about? Eclipse asked confused. 

Is Moon alright? he questioned quickly.